Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Four Liter Jugs ?

Re: Four Liter Jugs ?

Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    I forgot to mention, I put my mixed chemicals solutions, as well as some dry chemicals in plain Mason Jars, as I rarely need a full liter for most developing, and seal them with the Plastic Mason Jar lids, sold by Walmart.

I also have some old 2 quart or liter jars, but I have never used them for this.

A dozen Mason Jars of any size made, can be had from Walmart, but buy them well in advance of the Canning seasons in your area.

Here in NC, we get two good seasons a year, maybe more now because of warming so you need to be on the lookout for what you need, year round.

Also, with the wide mouth Bell Mason jars, pouring and returning the developer/stop/fix/etc, is much faster and that's important to know, with cylinder tanks that empty quick and fill even more quickly.

I hope this helps,
    Eli
    That brings back a memory. When I was in 8th grade (Nixon was president) I was determined to process my own Ektachrome, I bought E3 chemistry from Kodak. I had to make up 1/2 gallon of each solution. I raided my mom's jars. Must have been right time of the year, there was "Coke bottle green" 1/2 gallon Mason jars. These were old, narrow mouth, had reusable zinc and glass lids with rubber gaskets. That was an amazing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    Duolab...where'd you order those lids? And do they sell them it white? Hate looking for black lids in the dark!
    I don't recall. If you look there's a lot of online sellers Polyseal lids. I've only seen them in black

My guy just delivered 4 more (empty) Carlo Rossi 4 L jugs. I quit drinking years ago, I liked a good glass of a quality red wine. I enjoyed ales. In terms of booze, bourbon or Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey.

I never store developer in plastic. Most of them allow the solution to gather oxygen via osmosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I never store developer in plastic. Most of them allow the solution to gather oxygen via osmosis.
    How does that work for liquid developers that come from the supplier in plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    How does that work for liquid developers that come from the supplier in plastic?
    Decant them into glass containers.

But if this osmosis is significant, they have been oxidating since they were put into plastic containers at the factory, plus oxidating even more during decantation. I would think the solutions are exposed to much more oxygen during decantation than what might get to them through osmosis. Plus, how long do you think they sit before arriving to you?

Ah, Carlo Rossi Red Mountain Burgundy. Take me back to the 60's. No, on second thought, don't.

David

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I agree with that, so I was skeptical when the Xtol developer in my wine box got to be pretty old. I didn’t develop much film for awhile, and I was tempted to throw it away after a year had passed. I always shoot a duplicate neg in case something happens to the original, so I decided to go ahead and develop the sheet in the year old dev. It came out fine. I was encouraged. After the 2nd year passed I still had a little developer left so I processed a sheet in what was then 2 year old dev. I didn’t expect it to be good, but it was! There was no indication at all that the developer was oxidized or compromised!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Xtol changes color when it oxidizes and a black stringy growth will begin to appear if you didn't use distilled water.