Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Four Liter Jugs ?

Re: Four Liter Jugs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    How does that work for liquid developers that come from the supplier in plastic?
    The HD polyethylene bottles used by most chemical-packagers have (or should have, possibly it depends on the brand) a blown liner that seals them, when it's necessary to reduce oxygen porosity. IIRC the liner is PET (a polyester material) and is very thin. The finished bottle acquires the robustness and light weight of HDPE, with the gas-tightness of PET.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    The HD polyethylene bottles used by most chemical-packagers have (or should have, possibly it depends on the brand) a blown liner that seals them, when it's necessary to reduce oxygen porosity. IIRC the liner is PET (a polyester material) and is very thin. The finished bottle acquires the robustness and light weight of HDPE, with the gas-tightness of PET.
    While I am not a chemist, I would think the problem with plastic bottles would be more from chemicals in the plastic leaching into the solutions rather than oxygen being absorbed by those solutions through osmosis. All the photographic chemicals I use come in plastic bottles and they are either opaque white or translucent (Rodinal, toner, bleach, Photo-Flo). The Sprint Stop Block I get comes in a cardboard box with a translucent liner/bladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mounier View Post
    I agree with that, so I was skeptical when the Xtol developer in my wine box got to be pretty old. I didn’t develop much film for awhile, and I was tempted to throw it away after a year had passed. I always shoot a duplicate neg in case something happens to the original, so I decided to go ahead and develop the sheet in the year old dev. It came out fine. I was encouraged. After the 2nd year passed I still had a little developer left so I processed a sheet in what was then 2 year old dev. I didn’t expect it to be good, but it was! There was no indication at all that the developer was oxidized or compromised!
    I have stored XTOL in absolutely full PET 1 liter bottles for well over a year. I think your wine bags might just be the best way to store. As long as you keep the air out while dispensing, the multi layer bags are pretty hard to beat. I used to use 1 liter brown glass bottles that I got for free. As long as you keep glass absolutely full, XTOL lasts a long time. Once you open the bottle you need to use.
    Of course if you have a full gallon jug and replenish that works. But then you need to store the replenisher..

I need to find someone who drinks box wine

Quote Originally Posted by mrfujicaman View Post
    duolab...where'd you order those lids? And do they sell them it white? Hate looking for black lids in the dark!
    fyi, i got my caps from fillmore container