Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scanning B&W (HP5+) negs with Vuescan

scanning B&W (HP5+) negs with Vuescan

If I can remember it's history correctly, the profiles in Vuescan originated from the series of profiles Kodak produced for it's PhotoCD format (anyone remember that...?) - They are both of about the same vintage - and that is why it seems a rather odd selection of films, somewhat frozen in time.

As Vuescan evolved (and it does so every few days), I think most people tended to use it as the scanning end of a personalized workflow, rather than an end in itself.

Most of Ed's efforts have gone into making it compatible with almost every scanner under the sun.

It will still do a first rate job with colour transparency film. Also B&W using one of several approaches mentioned above (as well as NegPos - I've found picking one of the TMax CI profiles and tweaking it does work well)

For colour neg it was always a bit hit and miss - again, I've found a RAW colour scan + NegPos is excellent (I prefer it to silverfast - others don't - btw, with Silverfast, part of what you are paying for is the production of new/up-to-date profiles). Indeed, if you make the effort to profile your own choice of colour neg films with NegPos it is one of the best I've seen for converting colour neg scans
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

What 8x10 color neg film(s) are you using Tim?

Mainly Fuji NPS and Portra 160 (and a bit of 400) - it's mostly stuff I bought cheap that was a bit out of date
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I use Vuescan and Silverfast almost everyday. SF on my 4990 and 1800f and VS on my Nikon 8000. I use Vuescan on the Nikon because there is an issue with SF Digital Ice and the Nikon. Plus, SF is almost 400 bucks for the Nikon. If it were not for those issues I would use SF for everything. Vuescan does raw generic scans very well and has some niffy file tricks that Ed is fond of pointing out, but if you prefer to do much manipulation in the scanning stage (and there are many good arguments to do that) as I do. Vuescan is very basic and awkward compared to SF. In addition if you need Digital Ice, as I do on commercial color negs, SF is superior, VS at the lightest setting does not clean enough and on the medium setting softens the image detail considerably. SF cleans pretty thoroughy with minimum detail loss. So it is really a question of what features you need and your workflow.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Tim a question. I have two workflows with color negs, a high volume medium quality commercial flow, and my low volume high quality fine art flow. I suspect that using a neg/pos workflow would slow down the former considerably, since SF's neg profiles seem entirely adequate. Wouls you agree with that?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

It is not a direct answer but I prefer to scan BW negs as slides and then invert. I recently scanned the very same film with Minolta Dimage Multi. If the neg is properly exposed the results are spot on and need minor adjustment to taste.
    Vuescan does a very good job for color negs.