Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens protection / Covers

Lens protection / Covers

Hello all!

I should be getting my first LF camera tomorrow!

I have 2 lenses on the way and was wondering where I could get protection for them?

I have seen some black cloths of some kind.

Would anyone have a link to where I could purchase these? I just dont know what they would be called.

Thank you!

Re: Lens protection / Covers

Hi,

Many use a traditional dark cloth, but I prefer the BTZS Focus Hood https://viewcamerastore.com/products...ood-dark-cloth. The link is for a 4x5 camera size, but other sizes (e.g. 8x10) are available too. If you are looking for a more traditional dark cloth, B&H Photo has some https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ma

Regarding lens protection, I'm not quite sure what you are asking about. Most lenses you find will come with a set of plastic lens caps - but in some instances, perhaps not. If you need to, you can usually find Kaiser replacement caps at B&H Photo. But you need to know the external diameter of the front/rear lens elements (front and rear are virtually always different sizes). Here is a link to an 80mm size https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ps, but many other sizes are available. I try to have a selection of lens caps for my lenses as backups since they are known to "wander off".

On the other hand, perhaps you are referring to the "UV/Skylight" filters a lot of 35mm photographers seem to use. You can do that too for most any large format lens, but you will need to know the filter size for the lens. Many sellers have these, including B&H. Personally never been a user of a UV filter as lens protection, but some feel safer with them.

It also just occurred to me that perhaps you are asking about storage. Many use various sizes of lens wraps. One of the members here makes high quality products including wraps https://www.stonephotogear.com/wrapscases. Photobackpaker used to produce nice storage cases for lenses, but unfortunately no longer does. His cases are what I use. You can occasionally find them on the For Sale section of this forum (IIRC you won't be able to see that section for 30 days after joining the forum though). Before Photobackpacker, Gnass made similar lens cases; these also long out of production, but occasionally show up in the FS section. B&H has lots of small cases, perhaps not designed specifically for large format lenses, that may work.

Hope this helps

Bob

Hi!

Thank you for the info.

I was thinking of a cover for the lenses while in a bag etc. Like a lens bag etc

Although I saw someone with a 2 tone cloth covering some lenses. Grey inside black outside. Kb thought they looked nice and he had wrapped up the lens in it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I was editing my post to include lens wraps while you replied. Gave a link to some; B&H likely also sells them (but I didn't check)

Bob

Thanks Bob will check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Christianganko View Post
    Hi!

Thank you for the info.

I was thinking of a cover for the lenses while in a bag etc. Like a lens bag etc

Although I saw someone with a 2 tone cloth covering some lenses. Grey inside black outside. Kb thought they looked nice and he had wrapped up the lens in it.

I have a couple of Domke wraps. They're quite good.

Tenba also produces a range of lens wraps in various sizes and colours.

Welcome to LF!

Lens Protection: Short term quick/cheap solutions till you get set up the way you want. Put the unmounted lens into a zip-loc bag and put that into a Crown Royal bag. Keep them from getting knocked around with a Tupper-Ware type of plastic container for each loose lens. gh Not elegant, but gets it done till you are set up the way you want.

I have used the neoprene wraps in the past. They are a good start on lens protection. Regarding caps: I standardized on 72mm filters and adapted each of my 3 lenses to that front thread size with what ever step-up rings that took. Then got DSLR style snap in caps to fit the front. If you really need a rear cap, look on YouTube or DIY videos.

The lenses in the 4x5 grab-and-go bag travel in storage boxes by pPhotoBackpacker, but that brand has closed. You will find others who swear by fishing reel bags/pouches from LL Bean, Orvis and others.

I do not take the 8x10 kit into the field any more. Lenses stay in a neoprene wrapper and the wrapped lenses (mounted on a lens board) sit in a really solid cigar box (seriously). Look on e-bay for " Cigar Box, ACID" from Drew Estates. That brand of boxes are heavy duty mahogany with finger jointed corners and look great when re-finished.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 22-Mar-2021 at 06:19.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I too use a BTZS hood for 4x5, but a traditional (home made) dark cloth for 8x10.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Lens protection? Most of my lenses travel with me in plastic food storage containers. They keep dust out.