Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: snubby screwdriver made for tripod plate screws?

Drew Wiley

Re: snubby screwdriver made for tripod plate screws?

I have a huge octagonal maple handle screw driver for such applications in the shop, and a ground down ordinary stubby in the pack. But please don't remind me of any damned Baldwin keys. We cut up to two hundred of those a week with the key number punch and regular cutting machines. Four people re-keying locks, one a licensed locksmith, and me and our door dept holding a near monopoly on all the portable power mortising machines and their spare parts in the country. Stacks and stacks and stacks of mortise locks in inventory. Wild ride. Never want to see any more brass in my life. Fortunately, that fad ended, and in our area, oil-rubbed bronze became the predominant finish once again. Things go in cycles; but some choices sure weather better than others.

the side of my bike lock key works fine and i never go anywhere without it.

use a quarter!

Drew Wiley

I use quarters for my cam locks on the lid to my bear-resistant food container. The bears can't open them because they all use pilfered credit cards, and don't carry change any more.

The slotted blade on a Swiss Army Knife works well. The blade also doubles as a lifter for beer bottle caps, and SAKs also come with a cork screw so if you've got to wait around for the light to change----Cheers!
    Last edited by John Kasaian; 22-Jan-2023 at 20:52.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Love my Craftsman snubby! Gets into all sorts of tight places, has a great grip which unscrews for extra bit storage (standard, replaceable bits), and is ratcheted (left, right, and neutral).

I use whatever is available. Probably used all the above suggested items. I like the thick washerparacord idea.

I also have an old Craftsman 1/4" stubby that was my father's and is older than me. In the house I'll use that with a smile...

Get a plate that uses an Allen key? I have used about anything that fits in it: coins, the largest screwdriver I could find, backside of tweezers, steel rulers, nails, hex keys (put the short side in the slot and use the long side as a lever), the odd piece of scrap that fits,...

Isn't there a 5000 $whatever_currency_you_fancy Leica one with a red dot? Or an equally expensive Linhoff one?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Put a washer on your keychain
    Tin Can

Les

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06a0103_ratchetscrewdriver_main__67518__25561.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	234833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05R0103-ExtraHDScrewdrivers-web-hires-2432__03090.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	234834
    Couple of ideas from over the counter....both are likely imported. Personally, I'd find some dilapidated 50yr old rusty thing and grind it down to the size.

Additionally (more convoluted), if you have the means or have access to heating up metal, you can take a ballbearing, cut it on one end, unfurl the metal in heating process, beat it to submission while hot and you'll have a "stubby" as big or as small as you desire. Put a handle on it and you're good to go. I've seen a really nice chisel made that way. Granted, it's a bit of a project, but you'll have endless satisfaction from it.
    Les

On occasion I noticed there is real life outside the GG/viewfinder.