Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Designing a studio space for natural light portraiture

Re: Designing a studio space for natural light portraiture

I didn't walk into retirement myself, but was dragged, kicking and screaming!
    Your plan sounds enviable Monty. Especially the 18-acres part! Wow, a mountain retreat!

I had 10-foot ceilings in a previous home and that was luxurious. I wouldn't build anything less. In fact, for a studio, I'd just build it as tall as budget/codes/restrictions allowed. But I'm a dreamer!
    I'm fortunate to have a very large living room here. But with only 8-foot ceilings, it's very limiting.

What I DO have is a large-ish patio in the backyard with an "unlimited" ceiling that goes straight up to heaven.
    So my hope is to set up an outdoor studio and use scrims and reflectors to harness the Tennessee sun.

I learned to do some pretty decent product shots back when I lived in California just using my front patio. But the sun out there was a more consistent light source and rain was almost non-existent some months of the year. Still, I'm fairly optimistic.

I wish you much luck and joy in your pursuit!

I wonder how the low-E glass typically used in windows might affect you.

Zebra

Thank you William! We have to get out again when you are in and around Asheville again! Hope you are well my friend.

Monty

1978 I rolled into Asheville once going south, it was the nicest little town I ever saw

Good friends, both teachers moved there, 10 years ago. We lost touch

However, I know they love it, both also lovely
    Tin Can

I wonder how the low-E glass typically used in windows might affect you.

Zebra

I’ll be using greenhouse glass to avoid that I hope. There’s research to do there but I must avoid all UV blocking components that comes with modern windows. Sourcing that will be some work but I’m optimistic that can be achieved.

Zebra

As an update we met with a builder that specializes in smaller projects and he is excited to be a part of the project. My wife and I still have to crunch the numbers to see if this is the appropriate timing to get the project started. If we pull the trigger the contractor would be able to start in September/October, which would allow us to plan best case scenarios for how we both work. We would cross purpose one as a small guest retreat which would have a Murphy bed etc and allow us to spend more time out on the property until we build what I hope is the last house we reside in! Fun to share here. Keep the ideas coming they have been very helpful and it is greatly appreciated.

Monty

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post

Since it isn't all that far from me and we both shoot wet plate, I've been to Shane's studio a couple of times. We message back and forth about once a week too. Note that he often needs to supplement the natural light with a bank of daylight fluorescents.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Zebra

Needs is an interesting word choice. Is there an issue with the green house glass he chose to use that blocked UV light? It was my understanding via online reading that he chose that path specifically because he would avoid such issues. I’ve been shooting wet plate since 2004 and mammoth plates since 2005 never using artificial lights as I personally don’t care for the look, although I recognize that excellent work is done with such methods. The trade off of course is longer exposure times that I have learned to live in and amongst to achieve the look I most appreciate. Could you elaborate on that concept you referenced of need? Is it merely a trade off for shorter exposure times? Or is there another issue I should be aware of?

Thanks for helping clarify as I want to get this right for my methods and desired affects.

Monty

Foamer

Winter here is long and dark. Sun sets at 4:30 at the end of the year, and rises and sets in the south. It can get cloudy too. I know Shane always uses an f4.5 Tessar for everything. I think his use of additional lighting is a combination of wanting more direct light and shortening exposure time to something manageable. All the studio photos I've seen him take involved supplemental lighting.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!