Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Designing a studio space for natural light portraiture

Zebra

Re: Designing a studio space for natural light portraiture

Well its a busy time for all I suppose so I run amongst the herd in that regard, but nonetheless, I want to say thanks to Merg for reminding me I needed to update our progress on the studios my wife and I are conjuring up in our dreams. We didn't break ground in September/October as the builder moved to greener/bigger pastures and that gave us a minor setback to timing. We have spent that time working with an architect on what turned out to be a modern dogtrot that separates two spaces along one roof-line. My wife's glass blowing studio/hotshop and my daylight studio/darkroom. In good weather we would traverse outside for lunch and evening cocktails in and amongst the work. As to whether its more work or more cocktails well I suspect we will toggle back and forth between them on any given day. My studio would double as a guest suite with a Murphy bed and small two burner kitchenette. The Pandemic has seen building cost exponentially rise and we are in the stage of looking at new builders who specialize in smaller projects to receive bids from. There is no guarantee we will proceed with the project immediately depending on how it fits the original budget. Near misses probably get us moving soon into the new year. Big misses mean we will give a toast to the effort and wait to see if things change.

Either way it has been fun to go for something in life that may not make total sense but has a life giving quality to it. Out of the two of us the build is much more logical for my wife as she is a beautiful glass artist. We ended up at around 1350 sq feet per studio and we will look to use the simplest building materials to give us a shot at seeing this come into being. Corrugated tin siding, simple interior choices and as stated before Greenhouse glass at least for the north light windows. The Darkroom ended up taking up about 400 of those sq feet. Wall to ceiling height ended up at 12 feet with the skylights adding more on top of that. All in all it's a fun building that will serve many purposes from creating art, inviting community, and welcoming overnight guests. We fell in love with Philip Johnson's idea of living compoundly on the 18 acres so this will mean a smaller house but will allow for walks in and around gardens etc to traverse back and forth across the land to and fro from the studios to the house to the goat barn etc. Tasha Tudor meets North Carolina hopefully. Anyway the first steps have been taken, where they lead is still a mystery.

If it comes to pass, stop in and sit a spell.....

Monty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9105.jpg   IMG_9106.jpg   IMG_9107.jpg   IMG_9108.jpg  

Like that design a lot

Get to it!

Very Prairie Frank Lloyd Wright

I am sure yours will be built for full size people

Mr Wright made everything his size...
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Attractive building!

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    I’ll be using greenhouse glass to avoid that I hope. There’s research to do there but I must avoid all UV blocking components that comes with modern windows. Sourcing that will be some work but I’m optimistic that can be achieved.
    Hi Monty

I hate to suggest this, but you might ask your wife go make you some window glass. My old architectural conservation professor used to tell us stories about the glass blowers making a giant sphere and then spinning the rod so the ball collapsed upon itself and the lites were cut from the giant disk, and the bull's eyes were put above the door as a non moving transom. On second thought I just saw your rendering. Those are big windows!

Have fun with your new adventure!
    John

When we were building a detached garage with a "hobby" space above, our first though was to put in a kitchen sink plus a 1/2 bathroom. But when I totaled the additional cost for water and sewer, I figured it would amount to about $250 per flush over the next 10 years. So we canceled the bathroom and kitchen sink.

Now if you really need the guest room space, that's one thing. But if it's just a nice-to-have, maybe not.