Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Designing a studio space for natural light portraiture

Zebra

Re: Designing a studio space for natural light portraiture

Thank you for the clarification. That is very helpful, and understandable.

Monty

Speaking of light and a northern aspect, I am reminded that I have read that prior to the 20th century cloudy skies were rather rare, usually associated with actual rainstorms and often at predictable times of the year. Prairie journals of the 19th century describe cloudless skies for weeks on end. so I wondered if there would be a case made for a south facing set of roof windows as well. With blinds on both south and north facing windows you could light a portrait from either side as well, depending on which way the clients nose turns, eh!

Foamer

Keep in mind the weather here is highly variable. When I came home from work on Monday it was 81 degrees. When I went to work the next morning it was 28. There are times of the year when we might not see the sun for weeks (February) and other times might not see clouds for weeks (August.)

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Zebra

Here are some pics/examples of where I hope to be headed. Lots to digest but I am definitely leaning toward the double slant as it is more versatile.

Monty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FFEB3819-A95A-4322-96E9-1466D3689761.jpeg   4855F303-7C07-4653-9FF2-508CC3292BA9.jpeg   1FCE3CA5-2734-4393-B640-2AED4A969A56.jpeg   1F990293-CF56-439C-B696-D07FB7A31280.jpeg  

I crossed over the retirement bridge on January 1 of this year and I hope you can keep the car moving toward that goal. I must confess it was weird to give up gainful employment willingly.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Zebra

In my profession it may not be willingly!!!

Congratulations btw!!!

Monty

In the desert...

Touch base with Thomas Gibson Studio, Kansas City area. They do a lot of commercial ad projects, 40"x40" wet plate camera, natural light studio.

I bought one of the white car tents for storing my car in winter. Then with spring I have discovered it makes the perfect outdoor studio for natural light portraits. I add black to limit light on one side I accidentally st it up with the door ends facing north and south The effect is a nice morning light and afternoon light. If you want some less expensive fun and easier to set up space try this. If you have a neighbour with this ask to walk inside and check it out . You will be surprised at how wonderful the light is. Now I am not going to say its balanced o for colour film but for B&W it cant be beat. My long 10' x 10' x 20' tent cost me $350 and took two hours to assemble. It even survived the Ontario winter. Its really quite amazing and a total surprise. ( Yes, I use Canadian spelling , Eh?)

Good idea!

As I am selling my RV DR, I may put a white car cover tent exactly where it now sits, on my patio!

Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    I bought one of the white car tents for storing my car in winter. Then with spring I have discovered it makes the perfect outdoor studio for natural light portraits. I add black to limit light on one side I accidentally st it up with the door ends facing north and south The effect is a nice morning light and afternoon light. If you want some less expensive fun and easier to set up space try this. If you have a neighbour with this ask to walk inside and check it out . You will be surprised at how wonderful the light is. Now I am not going to say its balanced o for colour film but for B&W it cant be beat. My long 10' x 10' x 20' tent cost me $350 and took two hours to assemble. It even survived the Ontario winter. Its really quite amazing and a total surprise. ( Yes, I use Canadian spelling , Eh?)
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    A reverse soft box.