I can't quite walk to retirement but I can sure get there by car. Insomuch that I can see it on the horizon, my wife and I are starting to contemplate this new chapter to our lives. Our last goes off to college this fall and we have 18 acres to build a house and two small simple studios (my wife is a glass artist and I have no desire to share a hot-shop). The studio I am imagining is North Light in the tradition of a 19th century studio space where the light is controlled/diffused by canvas with pulley's etc. I much prefer natural light to studio lights. Of course the studio would have to include a darkroom but for the purposes of this thread I am interested in portraits/ideas on the studio space itself with its concentration on a shooting space plus what ideas that would be indispensable to a working studio. I would love to see your studios if you currently have access to a dedicated shooting studio. Examples posted here much like the darkroom portraits thread would be optimal. If no photos what would you make sure to include in the studio space?

The limitations:

1,200 sf maximum(400 for darkroom give or take) so shooting space could be as large as 800 sf give or take.
Common materials to keep cost at bay.

The Goals: Space to be able to shoot from life size head and shoulders to full body with a 20 x 24 camera using lenses from 550mm to a 37 inch Dallmeyer 8D.

Questions that come to mind;

How to configure the square footage length and width wise?
How tall should the walls/ceiling's be?
What are the things to definitely avoid?
What must be included in a good working studio?

Are there modern or old pieces of literature that go into detail on the various types of North Light studios that would show examples?

Links to modern studios is fine as long as it doesn't exclude natural light.

What would you want in a shooting space? I've included one below to get the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance,

Monty

Moderators: I didn't quite know where to put the thread please feel free to move if you so choose.

https://petapixel.com/2018/01/11/bui...io-us-century/