Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intrepid Tiny Format Enlarger

Re: Intrepid Tiny Format Enlarger

Yes, you align a traditional enlarger once and then hopefully stays in alignment. You check it occasionally. Quite different from aligning it every time you want to use it.

Lina made a review

Intrepid Enlarger Prototype Review

Very interesting
    Tin Can

She didn’t print with it or check the alignment. Maybe now she can get rid of her 11x14 enlargers

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Yes, you align a traditional enlarger once and then hopefully stays in alignment. You check it occasionally. Quite different from aligning it every time you want to use it.
    Well hopefully this one will stay aligned as well. I mean as long there is hope, I still don’t see why it is such a big issue. Plus as it is small and light, being out of alignment is harder plus if it is, it is much easier to correct.

Sure, a De Vere 504/507/5108 etc tends to stay locked in alignment very well indeed, but a new one is many, many times the price of the Intrepid. How well does your average Beseler or Omega (or Durst for that matter) really stay in alignment? None of their designs are really very good for allowing solid locking of alignment-critical parts. Some of the mass produced high-precision parts that Intrepid is able to exploit today simply weren't really available (let alone cheap enough to be used profitably) to enlarger manufacturers in the 70s/80s.

My DeVere 5108 stays in alignment, I gave 4 away last year and one went to the dumpster. My LPL 4500II also stays aligned! L
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 22-Mar-2021 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatih View Post
    ......I still don’t see why it is such a big issue.
    Well, you've obviously never printed extensively, or you'd see why it's such a big issue.

Direct quote from Intrepid email today

'Our new Compact Enlarger isn't just a great solution for printing 35mm and 120, you can also use it to make incredible contact prints from your Large Format negatives. You do this by pressing your negative directly onto a sheet of Black & White or Colour photographic paper in a contact printing frame, then project the light from the enlarger onto it, creating a beautiful 1:1 Print from your negative.'

Video made January, make LF contact prints with the tiny enlarger!

https://youtu.be/CpNIQ_M0mS0
    Tin Can

Well, you've obviously never printed extensively, or you'd see why it's such a big issue.
    Actually I’ve printed enough, enlarging a 35mm to 10x12 enough times that I know what alignment is, why it is important and more importantly how to do it.

What I think is, just because it is small and looks light compare to your huge enlargers, you devalue the item without even trying one. Like you do alignment your other enlargers, you have to align this enlarger. Once you do it, it will stay aligned. If it doesn’t it is because your copy stand, again nothing to do with the item itself. And similar issues can happen to any “old” enlargers because their friction and knob mechanisms are not great anymore. If there is no force on it, objects tend to not move too much

So the alignment issue is not different than your enlargers.

My DeVere 5108 stays in alignment, I gave 4 away last year and one went to the dumpster. My LPL 4500II also stays aligned! L
    So you aligned them when you bought and never check their alignment again? Is this what you are saying?