Thread: Second Fastest Sinar Norma

Second Fastest Sinar Norma

Second Fastest Sinar Norma 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I'm now building this one to go with the twin lens Sinar Norma in my studio. I have always used the Rapid Adapter for rollfilm and it's great super fast. By adding the 5x7 rear standard and the compendium system on a long rail, again this is about as good as it gets. The extra parts I need to build this are now on their way to me. The camera is about 90% constructed at this point. This will give me some photo firepower as this is nearly as fast to use as a reflex camera, due to the interconnecting cable automation. Hands free from the back of the camera
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 23-Mar-2021 at 16:18.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Re: Second Fastest Sinar Norma

Second Fastest Sinar Norma 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is the new Second Fastest Norma, I am building to leave set up. Additional Norma parts are on order and coming eventually. Here I've got the big 300mm chrome Sinar Symmar with rabbit ears and spring loaded auto aperture mechanism. The cables automate the front of the camera to the back. New to me is the never used brand new FOBA AFLAE tripod, this is a beauty and I'm stoked to have lucked into getting it

― Mark Twain

I assume you're referring to the speed of wallet emptying.

Ok, I have to ask, fast in what sense? fast in setting up the rig, or fast as in shooting frames(sheets) per second/minute/hour? In case it's not obvious, I am being entirely facetious here :P

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    Ok, I have to ask, fast in what sense? fast in setting up the rig, or fast as in shooting frames(sheets) per second/minute/hour? In case it's not obvious, I am being entirely facetious here :P
    +1 +1 :-)

Indeed what is at all fast about this camera ??

...further...considering the advertisement this camera doesn't seem to be meant for LF but merely MF - if that is the case I guess my Rolleiflex is faster ;-o

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    Not inexpensive but I'm a somewhat frugal buyer, and have gotten some great prices over the decades. Certainly not as expensive as some modern wooden cameras and large modern new lenses? I'm a camera collector/user and it has been a blast to accumulate my Normas. They are what I prefer to use, in the sixties and seventies multitudes of these were sold to professional photographers all over the world. There must be a good reason? How about cheap for what you get and also plentiful?? There are many Norma users here on this forum.

Some wallet emptying but I'm OK with that..... I can't imagine how expensive this precision technical camera would be to produce today?
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 24-Mar-2021 at 06:03.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    Yes fast in setting up the rig, and fast in composing through the lens, and firing the shutter. With practice this is almost as fast to use as a reflex camera, and of course, it has interchangeable lenses and camera movements. I tend to use the 6x9 roll backs more than the 6x6 ones, I have plenty of each. The camera is designed to operate from the viewing position, no going back and forth. When you rack over to the film in the Rapid Adapter, it closes the shutter via automated cables, and automatically stops down the lens, so you are ready to fire just that fast. After 30+ years of using the Rapid Adapter with the 4x5 Norma rear standard, I am upgrading to supporting it on the 5x7 rear standard, as you can see above. Way more robust and has a real "brick house" solidity that is very appealing to me at this time.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 24-Mar-2021 at 06:39.

― Mark Twain

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    +1 +1 :-)

Indeed what is at all fast about this camera ??

...further...considering the advertisement this camera doesn't seem to be meant for LF but merely MF - if that is the case I guess my Rolleiflex is faster ;-o
    See (and please read) above ^^^

BTW I shoot 8x10 and 5x7 with these same cameras (construction unit philosophy) and they are very nearly as speedy in the bigger formats.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 8-Apr-2021 at 16:41.

― Mark Twain