Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you recommend a darkroom workshop?

Re: Can you recommend a darkroom workshop?

I would love to attend the Sexton Workshop, they don't have a plan for any at this time. I'm on their mailing list, so will continue to watch and wait.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    My suggestion is to wait for the John Sexton workshop. I don't know much about the other possibilities mentioned; but, I know that John and Anne offer a really exceptional, well planned, workshop. Moreover, they draw images that they display throughout the workshop from a very large reserve of first rate photography by many different photographers.

Be prepared for some long hours; it's pretty much 9:00AM to 9:00PM on each of the full days. Yet, time goes by quickly.

Might check out Maine Media Workshops. They have many different types and levels of instruction.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Steve Sherman has a nice darkroom for small workshops. Find a cheap snowbird flight to NY/BOS/Portsmouth and head over to CT.
    https://www.powerofprocesstips.com/o...one-workshops/

Maine Media is mostly zoom at the moment.

I guess it depends on your skill level. If you already know a lot and want some advanced pointers, maybe something one-on-one would be worthwhile.

It also depends on whether you want something “hands-on”.

John’s workshops are excellent and well worth the time and money. If you want the go past the standard techniques, the second one (Fine Tuning the Expressive Print) is what you might be looking for, however normally the first workshop is a pre-requisite, and the Fine Tuning workshop is offered more rarely. Due to Covid all bets are off of course. John’s workshops are demonstrations, not hands-on.

Alan Ross would be a different type of option. There is also Bruce Barnbaum (I don’t have any personal experience).

Mark Citret used to do advanced workshops (maybe he still does) but the place closed. You could contact him and ask. He’s one of the best craftsmen.

Just some ideas. Also might depend on what type of photography and/or printing style you’re into.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    I am interested in a high level US based darkroom workshop. I have been photographing and doing my own film processing and enlargements for about 50 years. I am looking for a high level class to improve my 8x10 film, printing skills. I have a Devere 8x10 enlarger and a darkroom equipped to print up to 30x40 inch prints.

What I don't have is the expertise to print at the level I desire. I would be interested in learning from a master printer, but don't know of any in my area.

John Sexton had offered a printing Workshop, but Covid and other projects have shut that down for now. I'm in South West Florida, but willing to travel for the right class.
    Trial and error has gotten me just so far, I really need some hands on, one on one instruction!

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Attachment 213970

The Photographer's Formulary does outstanding workshops as well. You have to go to them...but they have nice accommodations in the Montana mountains and get outstanding instructors. Their website for workshops is http://www.workshopsinmt.com.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Two thumbs up for Steve Sherman’s workshops, and gatherings too!

Great opportunity to challenge many of our antiquated assumptions and learn a lot! He’s delved deeply into both the theory and practice of our beloved “analogue processes” and openly shares his remarkable advances technically, and practically.

I spent 3+ days with him for a one on one workshop. Everyone should be so lucky to be challenged and mentored so well. He carries my highest recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard good things about Bruce Barnbaum workshops from others in Oregon. But, that was quite a while ago.

Bear in mind, good black and white photography isn't so much about "good printing" as it is about obtaining a good negative. (In my view.) Can a "master printer" save a lousy negative? I'm not sure sure.

Can a hobbyist printer render an excellent photograph from a good negative? Without question.

Interesting. I’m of precisely the opposite view. Different strokes.

Adding to the list of possibilities; I have heard really good things about Lynn Radeka's workshops:

https://www.radekaphotography.com/workshops.htm

So many wonderful suggestions here, this will help me greatly to determine the best fit for me!

John
    www.timeandlight.com