Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you recommend a darkroom workshop?

Can you recommend a darkroom workshop?

I am interested in a high level US based darkroom workshop. I have been photographing and doing my own film processing and enlargements for about 50 years. I am looking for a high level class to improve my 8x10 film, printing skills. I have a Devere 8x10 enlarger and a darkroom equipped to print up to 30x40 inch prints.

What I don't have is the expertise to print at the level I desire. I would be interested in learning from a master printer, but don't know of any in my area.

John Sexton had offered a printing Workshop, but Covid and other projects have shut that down for now. I'm in South West Florida, but willing to travel for the right class.
    Trial and error has gotten me just so far, I really need some hands on, one on one instruction!

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DeVere.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	213970

Re: Darkroom workshop

You might check with another former Adams assistant, Alan Ross, who makes all the prints from Adams's negs for teh AA Gallery. He gives workshops and also will work with you in your own darkroom, if you pay for his travel and accommodations as well as daily fee. https://www.alanrossphotography.com/
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Thank you Philip, I will check that out.

I took an Alan Ross workshop at Dallas Center for Photography, and it was fantastic. He mostly does 1-on-1 workshops as far as I know, and I would definitely recommend him.

Also, contact John Sexton at JohnSexton.com, another Adams assistant who does workshops in his darkroom.

Clyde Butcher is in your neck of the woods and is a fine printer. Perhaps you could reach out to him or his staff.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Clyde is a personal friend of mine. He was excited to come see and help me get things going in my new darkroom. He helped me plan the layout, etc. unfortunately He has had some health setbacks that have kept him from getting here. He has consulted with me by phone, but it’s not the same as hands on.

Re: Can you recommend a darkroom workshop?

One of my sons and I had the privilege of spending a week with Alan Ross at his (and Julie’s) place in Santa Fe out shooting and printing in his darkroom.

None finer.

World class photographer & printer, master teacher, innovator, funny, and super nice/kind.

I hear he’s doing lots of zoom education to folks all over the world as both group classes and individual instruction.

Just to watch him print a complex negative is worth the trip.

Take or make the time to learn from Alan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    Clyde is a personal friend of mine. He was excited to come see and help me get things going in my new darkroom. He helped me plan the layout, etc. unfortunately He has had some health setbacks that have kept him from getting here. He has consulted with me by phone, but it’s not the same as hands on.
    Perhaps you could go see him and work in his darkroom.

Re: Can you recommend a darkroom workshop?

My suggestion is to wait for the John Sexton workshop. I don't know much about the other possibilities mentioned; but, I know that John and Anne offer a really exceptional, well planned, workshop. Moreover, they draw images that they display throughout the workshop from a large reserve of first rate photography by many different photographers.

Be prepared for some long hours; it's pretty much 9:00AM to 9:00PM on each of the full days. Yet, time goes by quickly.
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 22-Mar-2021 at 23:19.