Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scanner Options & Comparisons. Which to choose?

Re: Scanner Options & Comparisons. Which to choose?

For any Creo tech issues, Michael Streeter is the man. This is what makes getting a Creo an even better value, his support is terrific.
    My previous scanner was an older Eversmart Pro, it never had any issues that couldn't be solved by me, or if needed, by a few minutes on the phone with Michael. They're well-built, reliable machines.
    I realize the workflow isn't everyone's cuppa joe, but the ease of use and scan quality you can get from one machine can't be beat.

I think you'd get quite fine 60 x 75 prints -at 300 DPI from the IQsmart2 - it has a 4300 optical spec. The IQsmart 3 goes to 5500 optica

Come to think of it you'd probably only need 200 or so or a really large print s you could probably get acceptable 8 x 10 footers from 4 x 5. If every other part of the process were perfect. And if you could find an 80 inch printer and a forklift for the paper rolls.

Second Joshua's comments with exclamation points.

Used a Nikon LS8000 for years. Solid, SLOW, but won't work with sheet film. Ask me about the cost of keeping an old scanner running. I'd prefer to let someone else own and run that hardware... every day. As a photographer, your scanner sits idle most of the time. There's a limit, and the old "just because you can doesn't mean you should" applies.

DSLR scans are fast, but you'll need a pixel shift camera to get "best results" which as I read, and that slows the process considerably. Maybe more than you need. Personally, I'm waiting on that option using a Nikon D750 for now for smaller formats, and following the crowd with an Epson V850 (available refurb from Epson with 2yr warranty for a good price from time to time), and willing to consider drum scans (or similar) on selected sheet film images. My experience with purchased scans up to this point is that I could get better results from my measly hardware than a disinterested scan service could provide with much better hardware: the operator is key, and no one cares about your images like you do. Epson V850 and or a DSLR scan (good enough for previews at a minimum) can help you identify which images to bother with and control your production costs. Then if you want better, you can go find it. It's out there... and I have a better handle on "who" to use for that now, and cost for good scans isn't higher - in fact often lower - than poor ones. But if you do some of this at least yourself, you won't be wasting money and/or time on EVERY image.

I use a V850 to scan film up to 4x5. I don't currently print. It's basically to download to the web. So here's my question.

I figure that if I really want to print a few pictures large, I could always get a drum scan for the few that will be printed and mounted on the wall. The V850 satisfies the rest of my current needs. So the question is at what point do you feel that it's worth spending so much time and effort to create 35mm digital camera scans? How many prints would you have to do to make it worth it? If you're not making huge prints anyway, or only a few, wouldn't the outside drum scan approach be cheaper and more efficient?

As a side question, I'm planning to do a coffee table photo book. So the pictures are going to be relatively small anyway, probably not larger than 10" on the longer side. Would the V850 be sufficient for 35mm, MF, and 4x5 film?

Alan -- If you can get good scans at 2000 ppi negative scan from a flatbed scanner, that's not quite enough for a quality book printed at more than 200 dpi. However, you can make a large darkroom print and scan it for better results.

Ari,

Can you run that scanner with a regular Mac or does it need to run on legacy software/hardware? (firewire?)

Thanks,

Serge

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'm a dedicated Creo Eversmart/IQ Smart user, they're just fantastic machines and I cannot recommend them enough. The quality of their scans is up there with drum scans.
    There is currently someone (Michael Streeter) who takes care of sales and service on all of these machines, and they're quite reliable. https://www.scansolutionsonline.com
    The downside is the cost. You're looking at $2500 for an Eversmart Pro, and more for more recent machines. EBay sometimes has a Creo for sale for less, but you don't know what you're getting. Spare parts can be more expensive than buying a complete, working machine.

So if your question is "What can I use at home that is budget friendly and will give me satisfactory results?" I'd have to say an Epson V7xx or V8xx, or even a 4990.
    For the price, they're pretty good scanners.

Serge, the Eversmart Pro ran on a G4 or earlier using OS 9 and SCSI interface. No issues with the computer, software or peripherals.
    The main drawback with the Eversmart Pro series is the type of plastic that was used for its outer shell.
    After 20 or so years, it becomes brittle and prone to cracking.

The IQSmart 2 runs on OS X Leopard, best is 10.5.8. That limits your computer choices to no later than 2011. Interface is Firewire.
    I've had nothing but great luck with older Macs, I'm typing on a 2009 Mac Mini right now.

https://www.scansolutionsonline.com/...3_iqsmart2.pdf

I think there is a partial fallacy in how some scan and interpret the requirements for output. For that matter not everyone outputs to the same standard. There is also in my experience a nose in the air some profess that nothing they do is bad but everything someone else does is flawed. That said: Ive literally scanned hundreds if not thousands of my own images. I've had both my own scans published as well as plenty that were done on my behalf. I know if I scan and present an image its dust & defect free - which is not a guarantee when someone else does the scan. Many people have this belief that scan at max resolution and save the scan - not needed,...is actually work flow counter productive unless you have lots of storage and the time and resources to work with super large images. You don't need 48 bit scans. You can size the scan for the intended output. Say 8x10 @ 600 color correct, then retouch, then moderate sharpen then down sample to the intended required output size. Lets say 8 x10 @ 200 dpi perfectly fine for consumer grade printers. Currently I have a P8000 Epson. So YMMV.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Thanks Ari.
    I've got a few older Macs to choose from.
    These sound like a great scanners for me.

Thanks again,

Serge

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Serge, the Eversmart Pro ran on a G4 or earlier using OS 9 and SCSI interface. No issues with the computer, software or peripherals.
    The main drawback with the Eversmart Pro series is the type of plastic that was used for its outer shell.
    After 20 or so years, it becomes brittle and prone to cracking.

The IQSmart 2 runs on OS X Leopard, best is 10.5.8. That limits your computer choices to no later than 2011. Interface is Firewire.
    I've had nothing but great luck with older Macs, I'm typing on a 2009 Mac Mini right now.

https://www.scansolutionsonline.com/...3_iqsmart2.pdf

I purchased my IQSmart2 new, about 13 years ago. I have been operating it with an older mac pro with the Creo software, not sure if there are better options?

The machine is a beast and has never been a problem, I always am a little nervous every time I fire it up though! As others have said, it is very slow, but once you get used to that, it's no big deal. I have a dedicated computer running it, so I am free to move to another modern computer to do my day to day work while the IQ2 is grinding away.

I scan 8x10 and 5x8 primarily and try to limit my file size to under 1 gig. The resolution is fantastic. I was printing more digital at one point (today more silver) and I would print up to 6ft wide from my 8x10 negs with no problem.

John
    www.timeandlight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    Thanks Ari.
    I've got a few older Macs to choose from.
    These sound like a great scanners for me.

Thanks again,

Serge