Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypo clear for large RC prints

Question Re: Hypo clear for large RC prints

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    only wash one print at a time if it fills most of the area..
    I am thinking of buying this tray: https://www.fotoimpex.com/darkroom/d...cm.html?sort=6
    It says it is for 50x60cm paper, but it doesn‘t say how much larger than the paper it actually is.
    Or maybe I should play it safe and buy an even larger tray? Like this one: https://www.fotoimpex.com/darkroom/d...cm.html?sort=6

I also have another question: How long should I wait until I put in the next sheet in the washing tray? Should I always give it some time until more water is renewed?
    Once I start working on a new negative it will probably take at least 40 minutes until the next print is ready for washing. Should I leave the water running all that time?
    Or maybe I should just swap out the water completely from time to time?

Re: Hypo clear for large RC prints

With RC paper, finish your wash, set the print(s) aside to dry, and then start on your next print. Do not leave prints in the wash for extended periods. The optimal workflow is very different from workflows that are efficient for FB paper.

I am printing most of my work at the moment on RC for convenience.

I use the Ilford 30 seconds in strong fix, allow it to drain the fixer off for at least 15 sec and then in to the wash for 2 minutes (plus a bit - so may be 2m 30s).

Agitation is much more important than outright flow - so I put my print in a tray and rock it the same was as you rock a print in the development dish.

I will also occasionally brush the print with my hand to aid exchange of water across the surface of the print - but at this time of year the water is just too cold for me to keep my hand in it for the entire 2+ mins.

I have a hose running in to the tray and I will partly empty the tray during the wash and completely at the end.

If you are worried about an inadequate wash - rinse the print under a running tap at the end.

If Ilford say this method is satisfactory then they will have tested it scientifically to a level far higher than anyone here can match, with a safety margin added in for good measure.

Also, in answer to your original post - don't bother with Hypo Clear for RC.

Hope this helps

Martin

And yes, completely change the
    wash tray water frequently.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org