Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any Yosemite NP Visit Updates in 2021

Re: Any Yosemite NP Visit Updates in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The falls should be cooking by now, and the skeeters shouldn't be out yet, but they will be.
    I don't know what's open in the valley.
    The shuttle system, if it's working properly, helps ease the valley traffic but afaik they're still parked due to the 'rona.

I'd be up there today if I didn't have pressing work to do around the homestead
    The falls were going pretty good last Thursday; went for a short walk around Cook's meadow. Attendance was already picking up and there were a lot of cars headed that direction over the weekend - spring break surge I expect.

The Yosemite Valley Shuttle System will not be running this year. It is operated by a concessionaire and they made the decision not to operate this summer; so expect a more congested valley and don't plan on catching the shuttle back to anywhere.

Note the separate YARTS busses are operating but they are primarily just to get into/out of the park.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvis...sportation.htm

Ansel Adams gallery re-opens April 1st.

Also, if you don't already have the webcams bookmarked...

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/photo...ia/webcams.htm

There will be a snow pack update April 1st; can get a better idea of what might happen with Tioga Road then.

Cheers,

-AnalogAngler

-AnalogAngler

Thanks for the links to live webcams!
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Yosemite Valley is relatively low altitude. The mosquitoes are brief, long gone before summer, having choked to death on all the campfire smoke. The high country is a different story. There the mosquitoes arrive is squadrons. The first squadron is essentially all Kamikaze; they sacrifice their lives landing in your sweat and fresh insect repellant just to soak it up. The next squadron lands to lick off the residue. Then the main invasion comes next, seeking real blood. You either want to be slightly above the snowline in June, or wait till September. But if you wait, then forest fire smoke is more a risk. The mosquitoes know that, and carefully study trail maps and so forth while they're still larvae in the ponds, to predict where hikers will be that particular season.

I'm hoping for a brief altitude tune-up hiking to some seldom-visited little lakes near the border of the Park in June. Mosquitoes will be out in force. I just received some permethrin-treated shirts to test. I should also probably figure out how to attach extra blood plasma bottles to my backpack, just in case the insects bleed me dry. But the horseflies in Wyoming high country two years ago were way worse than anything mosquitoes can do to you; and I'd like to see if this kind of treated clothing seriously deters them or not before heading that way again.

My son was on El Capitan yesterday. He reported that the falls are indeed doing their thing and the mosquitos still absent(that was yesterday...today, who knows?)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Rocks don't bleed much to attract mosquitoes, except when those granitic batholiths were first extruded. El Cap certainly bled a lot of black diorite over on the North America wall. Waterfall mist also helps. But what really is miserable in the lower elevations in summer isn't mosquitoes, but chiggers. They don't just want to bite you, but fly into you, and ruined many an evening on the front patio.