Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Yosemite NP Visit Updates in 2021

Re: Any Yosemite NP Visit Updates in 2021

DavidFisk, will check the lodge you mentioned. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidFisk View Post
    Outside the park, your best bet is the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. If you are going, book now!

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    Vaughn, a nice photo! From the picture, the tent cabins look great, but not heated. I am worried it will be too cold in night.If Tioga road is closed, can I hike to Glacier point?
    I thought some cabins had heaters. I have given workshops in the Valley in April and the weather can go from warm sun to snow to rain and back again in the week. May can be pretty nice...but can also have cold nights. The Valley is only 4000', but high enough1

One can hike up to Glacier point by a couple different routes...neither are easy walks. The Four-Mile Trail is the quickest route...sometimes closed due to snow in the winter, with people going up anyway. The other route goes up to Nevada Falls then over to Glacier Point. A longish hike for the fit.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

My nephew and his wife hiked up to Glacier Pt a few weeks ago; but quite a bit of snow has arrived since. Early road access, prior to June, can vary year to year depending on late spring snow activity. Again, check the official website updates. It's a relatively easy road to keep open, but Park staffing might still be strained due to virus issues. They maintain in-Park roads themselves, and are not as well equipped as the State agency, CalTrans. That fact affects Hwy 120 too, over the top at Tioga Pass.

If you can't find a room at Yosemite View, there is a much smaller motel about 8 miles farther. If not there, you are looking at staying in Mariposa, which is about 1 hour from the valley. Bottom line: book early and book often.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

[QUOTE=Vaughn;1592140]I thought some cabins had heaters.

Well, I guess if you rub 2 photographers together you could generate some sparks and then....oh, never mind.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

The falls should be cooking by now, and the skeeters shouldn't be out yet, but they will be.
    I don't know what's open in the valley.
    The shuttle system, if it's working properly, helps ease the valley traffic but afaik they're still parked due to the 'rona.

I'd be up there today if I didn't have pressing work to do around the homestead
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I thought some cabins had heaters. I have given workshops in the Valley in April and the weather can go from warm sun to snow to rain and back again in the week. May can be pretty nice...but can also have cold nights. The Valley is only 4000', but high enough1

One can hike up to Glacier point by a couple different routes...neither are easy walks. The Four-Mile Trail is the quickest route...sometimes closed due to snow in the winter, with people going up anyway. The other route goes up to Nevada Falls then over to Glacier Point. A longish hike for the fit.
    IIRC some of the tent cabins at Camp Curry still have heaters. The deluxe tent cabins that were also insulated were removed around 2015 because it was thought they attracted Hanta spreading critters
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Ah yes, Tenaya lake mosquitos. I still occasionally find a carcase in my camera - and it's almost 50 years since I did the Adams workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Ah yes, Tenaya lake mosquitos. I still occasionally find a carcase in my camera - and it's almost 50 years since I did the Adams workshop.
    I heard the FAA paints N-numbers on the wings of Little Yosemite Valley mosquitos

At least they're smaller than the Minnesota mosquitos that folks stuff and eat for Thanksgiving. Nice thing about living in Tucson is that there are relatively few flying insects outside of a few of weeks around Monsoon -we have 2 1/2 seasons a year. Summer, Winter and the 1/2 season Monsoon. Crawling on the ground insects like tarantulas and scorpions, on the other hand...