Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best 4x5 camera to accommodate a 65mm lens?

Re: Best 4x5 camera to accommodate a 65mm lens?

Chicken or egg Paul?

On my Toyota GII with bag bellows you could tilt or rise or shift to the limit of the camera. There isn't enough image circle to support it. I'm still unsure what's the hangup with FFD.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    My list of cameras that work with a 65MM lens without a recessed board.

Calumet Monorail - barely
    Ikeda Anba - bellows fully compressed, No movements without racking it out first.
    Shenhao HZ something - I sold it.
    Chamonix N2

I had one Nagaoka wood field camera that would not allow rear standard movement enough to go below 75mm due to metal parts construction.
    LInhof 45 Technika. LInhof Technikardan.

Reprint DII Rock Bridge 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Rock Bridge, Hocking Hills, Southern Ohio

This is the 58mm Rodenstock Graflex XL Grandagon, mounted in a very deeply recessed homemade custom Norma board. I was doing a lot of wide photography and needed something wider than 65mm for 4x5. The front and back standards of the Sinar Norma can be made to touch each other, without a board or bellows attached. That in my mind is about as good as you can get.

A Biogon design that covers 9x12cm, or 4x5 if focused hyperfocally. But you can see all four corners of the image circle in this shot
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Good

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Reprint DII Rock Bridge 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Rock Bridge, Hocking Hills, Southern Ohio

This is the 58mm Rodenstock Graflex XL Grandagon, mounted in a very deeply recessed homemade custom Norma board. I was doing a lot of wide photography and needed something wider than 65mm for 4x5. The front and back standards of the Sinar Norma can be made to touch each other, without a board or bellows attached. That in my mind is about as good as you can get.

A Biogon design that covers 9x12cm, or 4x5 if focused hyperfocally. But you can see all four corners of the image circle in this shot
    Tin Can

Thanks Tin Can! I had to hike many miles in thick brush to get to this site. When I got there I was glad Norma was along

I have a barrel mounted Sinar Norma 65mm F8 Super Angulon, with direct operating mickey mouse aperture cable. Because of that it was forward mounted at the Sinar factory, so it would work full range with the Norma shutter. I bought it decades ago from Glenn Evans. That lens is on a flat board, on a top hat, and it still focuses full range and has full moves on the Norma

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Chicken or egg Paul?

On my Toyota GII with bag bellows you could tilt or rise or shift to the limit of the camera. There isn't enough image circle to support it. I'm still unsure what's the hangup with FFD.
    egg!
    reptiles were laying eggs long before chickens existed.

btw DU, great shot!

Thanks Paul

― Mark Twain

Questions like this is why I am such a proponent of the Sinar F2. You can get a Sinar F2 for less than $500, often less than $400. You then have a foundation to make a configuration to do almost anything you can think of. I find this is extremely helpful for students of mine starting out in large format. Once they learn the basics of large format they don't have to change camera systems to configure their camera to their personal style of work. With a Sinar they can use it for anything from ultrawide angle lenses with recessed lens boards and bag bellows to multiple standards and bellows for use with long lenses or macro work, or anything in between. You can also easily change the rear stand to change your format. There is a tradeoff as they are a little larger, heavier and more difficult to pack. However, especially for the price, they are hard to beat for versatility.

-Joshua

Explain why the rear of the lens being close to the Ground Glass a problem? Yes, this has been discussed more than a few times.
    The Sinar Norma or Lego_ized Sinar camer has zero issues with the rear of the lens being close to the ground glass or using any similar camera has any functional image making issues..

Again, explain what and why is there a problem with the rear of the lens being close to the ground glass? ..... Or would the rear of the lens being close to the ground glass being your expectation of what a LF wide angle optic should NOT be?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    and there you have it!

its not the camera or bellows or recessed boards... the problem is the rear of the lens is so close to the ground glass, you are limited by how much adjustments you can make without hitting the gg or film using short focal length lenses.

so it doesnt matter which camera or bellows or recessed boards you use... you are limited by the short focal length... thats just the nature of the beast like it or not.

Sinar Norma Handy Lowboy 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Last year I finished building in my workshop this custom made "Handy" Sinar Norma camera, it uses original Norma parts, including the Norma Helical Mount for the chrome 65mm F8 Super Angulon. Yes this one is HANDY they named it right Can be handheld or tripod mounted. The viewfinder is for the Mamiya 7 43mm and works pretty good. The strap lugs bolted to the Norma Standard Frame came from the Pentax 6x7.

Sinar Norma Handy w TTL Sinarsix metering by Nokton48, on Flickr

Ashton Pond Norma Handy HRU Mic-X by Nokton48, on Flickr

This camera is an absolute BLAST to use and attracts a lot of attention if people are around especially photographers

Ashton Pond Columbus Ohio Sinar Norma Handy 4x5 Fuji HR-U XRay 65mm F8 at F22 Schneider CF + Sinar Norma Dark Yellow 103mm Glass Disk 1 sec at F22 Legacy Mic-X replenished stock in tray 18 mins at 62F Arista #2 RC 4x 8x10 Multigrade dev Omega DII with 180 black Rodagon and Omegalite

― Mark Twain