Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 4x5 camera to accommodate a 65mm lens?

Re: Best 4x5 camera to accommodate a 65mm lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Paul, why is that a problem?

first we arent talking about mf or 35mm... thats a different animal n the problem has been cured for those formats.

never mind if its 75 or 65mm..... the problem is the rear of the lens is very close to the film plane limiting what you can do with it.... thats the limitation of lf cameras n lenses. so recessed lens boards n bag bellows n different cameras dont make any difference.... am i correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    first we arent talking about mf or 35mm... thats a different animal n the problem has been cured for those formats.

never mind if its 75 or 65mm..... the problem is the rear of the lens is very close to the film plane limiting what you can do with it.... thats the limitation of lf cameras n lenses. so recessed lens boards n bag bellows n different cameras dont make any difference.... am i correct?

I already explained to you that a recessed board can make a difference. A compressed bag bellows is shorter than a compressed standard bellows. This can make a difference. Not all cameras have the same minimum distance between the standards. This can make a difference.

All that said, why are you hung up on back focus? What matters is flange-to-film distance.

But, why is it a problem? I fail to see how the distance to the film plane makes any difference. Bag bellows and recessed lens boards help overcome issues that arise in terms of movements, due to compression of the bellows when focusing a lens that short.

If it was actually a problem, retrofocus lenses would be more in vogue for LF.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Problem could be expectations and habits from using lens fixed to the camera body cameras.. These habits and expectations simply do not apply to a view camera.. most any view camera. Coupled with a refusal to change and accept the view camera for what it is.. essentially a light tight box that is flexi in the center that is so very different than a lens fixed to the camera body .. camera.

It is much about trying to impose what once was to a image making means that is quite different than what once was.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    But, why is it a problem? I fail to see how the distance to the film plane makes any difference. Bag bellows and recessed lens boards help overcome issues that arise in terms of movements, due to compression of the bellows when focusing a lens that short.

If it was actually a problem, retrofocus lenses would be more in vogue for LF.

I have used a 65mm lens on a Horseman 45FA, and used the drop bed feature, but it was a bit dicey. And I've used a 75mm lens on a 5x7 Canham MQC without too much trouble. Just slid the front and rear standards close to the front, no bed dropping necessary.

Certainly not the cheapest option, but my Arca F Field (141 rear Standard) can focus my 55 Grandagon-N with the standard bellows and still allows for some movements. I have a bag bellows but never use it.

I have the Nikon 65/4 and i use it on my Toyo 45AII with a 1 " recessed board (not made anymore, but can be obtained on E-bay).

Works fine, but if you use front movements (downwards) you get the camera bed in the picture, if you are not carefull.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    All that said..

Sinar Norma example.

5x7 Norma short, the rear element of the 75mm Gradagon is about 30mm from the ground glass. Optically, this can never work, camera is not the limitation. ~The will not post in original image position problem again.

Attachment 213934

With bag bellows and shift-rise. Same front to rear standards distance.
    Attachment 213933

Bernice
    The amazing thing with that setup is that the 75mm 6.8 Grandagon just about covers the 5x7, with some fall off of course.

Beautiful Norma camera!

My list of cameras that work with a 65MM lens without a recessed board.

Calumet Monorail - barely
    Ikeda Anba - bellows fully compressed, No movements without racking it out first.
    Shenhao HZ something - I sold it.
    Chamonix N2

I had one Nagaoka wood field camera that would not allow rear standard movement enough to go below 75mm due to metal parts construction.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    All that said..

Sinar Norma example.

5x7 Norma short, the rear element of the 75mm Gradagon is about 30mm from the ground glass. Optically, this can never work, camera is not the limitation. ~The will not post in original image position problem again.

Attachment 213934

With bag bellows and shift-rise. Same front to rear standards distance.
    Attachment 213933

Bernice
    and there you have it!

its not the camera or bellows or recessed boards... the problem is the rear of the lens is so close to the ground glass, you are limited by how much adjustments you can make without hitting the gg or film using short focal length lenses.

so it doesnt matter which camera or bellows or recessed boards you use... you are limited by the short focal length... thats just the nature of the beast like it or not.