Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 4x5 camera to accommodate a 65mm lens?

Best 4x5 camera to accommodate a 65mm lens?

Hi all,

Could you please help advise which 4x5 camera that can accommodate a 65mm lens would recommend?
    I currently have Shen Hao hzx45-iia but my Nikon 65mm SW lens cannot focus to infinity. I understand a bag bellows would help, but before I further invest in it I was wondering what are the better alternatives out there for wide lenses (like the 65mm).

Many thanks,

Voe

Huub

Re: Best 4x5 camera to accommodate a 65mm lens?

It amazes me that you can't focus your 65mm on a HZX-IIa, as i have no issues focussing my 58mm on the same camera. The 58 is mounted on a flat lensboard and I have to admit thet it results in a pretty cramped bellows, but it still is very workable. Is your 65mm mounted on a recessed lensboard?

I have the same camera and I have a 65mm lens, but my lens is the Fujinon 65mm f/5.6.

I can just focus to infinity with the original bellows, but my lens is on a recessed lens board, which probably helps. My recessed lens board is a 10mm recess, I think. Not much, but it works a treat.

I have the bag bellows for the Shen Hao, it really makes life very easy with anything from 90mm down. In fact with the extremes of movement I sometimes use with the 90mm with architectural photography, you definitely can use the bag bellows and huge movements without twisting the standard bellows and thereby eventually destroying the original bellows.

The bag bellows fold flat as a pancake and only take around 2 minutes to change over, tops.

Attached are the bag bellows with a 90mm lens, rear look at the bag bellows and 90mm lens with extreme movement that will eventually destroy a standard bellows, the 65mm mounted on a recessed board.

The bag bellows, ex factory stock is quite cheap, or was when I bought mine around 12-15 years ago from a North American photographic dealer, including posting to Australia.

Mick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170124_164558.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	213851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170124_164355.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	213852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shen_Hoa_Recessed_65mm_002.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	213853

Depends on how you are using the camera and how much portability you need but I picked up a Toyo 45C monorail with a short rail and bag bellows (and a roll film slider) for £250. That's only slightly more than a set of new bag bellows, and is probably better for architecture than a field camera. All large format cameras come with compromises, it just depends what is important for you.

Like Mick I have the same HZX-lla and the 65/5.6 SWD Fuji and it focuses to infinity with the standard bellows but without any movement. With a bag bellows I would likely get a small amount of movement with this lens at infinity.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

Horseman 45FA

It will be easier with a camera without a fixed front bed, so a Canham 4x5 DLC, with normal or bag bellows.

UMmm . . .A travlWide or Will Travel?

Dunno if either are "best" but both will do it pretty well.

Is a recessed lens board a viable option?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    It will be easier with a camera without a fixed front bed, so a Canham 4x5 DLC, with normal or bag bellows.

I have not used one in years but . . .

A Speed Graphic has the ability to drop the front track and still focus the front standard while very close to the GG. I have done this with a 90mm, but never with anything as short as 65mm.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

You already own a perfectly capable camera. I'll admit the SH is a bit confusing at first (there are a LOT of knobs) so my guess is you may be completely unaware that you can move the rear standard forward. Go back and read your manual if it came with one, or sit down and fiddle with it. I tried a 47m XL on mine and it worked fine.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome