Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Best 4x5 camera to accommodate a 65mm lens?

Re: Best 4x5 camera to accommodate a 65mm lens?

Linhof Technikardan

I scanned the thread because, as a Horseman FA user, I don't think it is the best. In fact it is pretty difficult to use a 65mm. It is doable, and there is a focus scale for 65mm lens on the camera, but not what I'd call the 'best.'

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    So you'll know, the 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic's minimum extension is 66.7 mm. It will focus some, not all, 65s. Check the candidate lens' flange-to-film distance at infinity.

The 4x5 Crown Graphic's minimum extension is 52.4 mm. It is a much better choice for short lenses than a Speed.

Remember that these cameras' only usable movement is front rise.
    a pacemaker can do rise, fall, tilt and shift, though you won't be getting much of any of those with a 65mm lens.

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    a pacemaker can do rise, fall, tilt and shift, though you won't be getting much of any of those with a 65mm lens.
    I have four Pacemaker Graphics and I think you're badly mistaken. Front rise, yes. Front fall using the standard as is, not. Front fall using the standard on a dropped bed works for a limited range of focal lengths and focused distances. Front shift, a little as long as the standard is in front of the bed struts. Forward tilt, yes. Backwards tilt, yes with the standard on a dropped bed but works for a limited range of focal lengths and focused distances.

Mince words and quibble all you want, practically speaking a Pacemaker Graphic is a terrible substitute for a view camera.

I have four Pacemaker Graphics and I think you're badly mistaken. Front rise, yes. Front fall using the standard as is, not. Front fall using the standard on a dropped bed works for a limited range of focal lengths and focused distances. Front shift, a little as long as the standard is in front of the bed struts. Forward tilt, yes. Backwards tilt, yes with the standard on a dropped bed but works for a limited range of focal lengths and focused distances.

Mince words and quibble all you want, practically speaking a Pacemaker Graphic is a terrible substitute for a view camera.
    i may be the humble owner of only a single pacemaker speed graphic, but i can achieve all those movements without even dropping the bed. if you haven't figured out how to do it with four pacemakers, it's a matter of your limitations, not the cameras'.

I've owned dozens of Graphics of all sizes and stripes and Dan is 100% correct. Almost all the movements mentioned are only usable in very limited circumstances. Don't forget too, not in vertical orientation!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I've owned dozens of Graphics of all sizes and stripes and Dan is 100% correct. Almost all the movements mentioned are only usable in very limited circumstances. Don't forget too, not in vertical orientation!
    no, he's not. i'll give you a hint: rise and fall require the exact same geometry between the lens and film, if you can achieve one you can achieve the other, without having to reposition the lens. and in vertical orientation you get reduced rise and fall, way more shift and you trade up/down tilt for left/right tilt.

i may be the humble owner of only a single pacemaker speed graphic, but i can achieve all those movements without even dropping the bed. if you haven't figured out how to do it with four pacemakers, it's a matter of your limitations, not the cameras'.
    Front fall without dropping the bed? GMAFB! At the function carrier's lowest position in the standard, the lens' axis is centered in the gate. Front rise becomes front fall when the camera is inverted. Is that what you do? If so, how do you attach the camera to a tripod?

Front fall without dropping the bed? GMAFB! At the function carrier's lowest position in the standard, the lens' axis is centered in the gate. Front rise becomes front fall when the camera is inverted. Is that what you do? If so, how do you attach the camera to a tripod?
    DING DING DING! the camera doesn't give a damn which side is facing up and it's no more difficult to use inverted. hell, the bed shades the lens and is great for clipping a dark cloth to. i use the tripod mounts and a pan/tilt head. an L bracket would work too.

DING DING DING! the camera doesn't give a damn which side is facing up and it's no more difficult to use inverted. hell, the bed shades the lens and is great for clipping a dark cloth to. i use the tripod mounts and a pan/tilt head. an L bracket would work too.
    That's nice. But shift is minimal and limited by the bed struts and swings are still non-existent.