Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wehman 8x10 Front Rise

Re: Wehman 8x10 Front Rise

The camera on ebay is the same model as mine. I believe it is the 2nd model. I use lenses from 150mm to 19" with no problems. It takes a few uses to get used to to the asymmetrical movements, but they present no problem. I have owned 7 different 8x10 cameras over the years even the heavyweight Calumet. I bought this from a friend when I was 85 in order to save weight. Some day I will convert it to a lighter weight version by drilling out some of the aluminum. I have an adapter board which allows me to use Technika boards which i use on5xy, and 4x5.
    When set up properly this is a very sturdy camera and i have no problem with vibration even when the bellows is extended to its maximum for extreme closeups.
    Having been used to the 36" bellows on the Kodak Universal, the best and lightest weight 8x10 i have owned and should never have sold, the bellows on the Wehman is a little short but one had to give up something on every camera.
    I like this camera very much and rarely leave home without it.

Thanks, Jim. My longest lens is only 14", but it's a Petzval type, clocking in at 3 1/2 pounds. Others have told me the Wehman should be able to support this.
    Bellows extension, even for tight close-ups, shouldn't be any kind of problem.
    Rather, the size of the lens boards may be too small for the diameter of the Petzval!

Hi Ari,

Mine has those very stiff bellows as well and I wish it was more flexible material. Mostly effects 210mm lens so I have to be sure to remember to double-check for vignetting and secure bellows out of the way if I can; doesn't seem to effect shorter and longer focal lengths. I have the swiss cheese model as well. It's light weight and very rugged with basic controls. IOW, it's not a 'precise' camera, movement wise, which you learn to work with or around (and I guess not all that untypical for a field camera).

Spare parts. I got a few extra knobs from Bruce (while he was still with us) after I lost one in the field. I've been careful ever since about that.

I've thought of having Richard Ritter replace the bellows with better, more flexible, material, and make a 5x7 back -- if I'd only get around to it.

Great bail mechanism. Base tilt. Moving the front standard (the way it slides along the rails) can be a little fiddly, imo, but you quickly get used to it. I haven't had any particular problems with heavier lenses, but I'm generally not angling the camera downwards with a heavy lens up front (keep the base tilt knobs securely tightened). YMMV. I mostly avoid using front swing, I think the idea is to use the assymetrical rear swing which I'm still not sure if I use correctly.

FWIW, I mostly use 250mm Fujinon and 6 1/2" Dagor lenses but it supports the weight of something like the 360mm f6.3 Fujinon generally without problems. I also mostly use Technika lens boards with an adaptor for interchangeability.

Not my only 8x10 so I have other options but it's probably one of the most frequently used. I appreciate the weight (lack thereof), compact form factor, no nonsense qualities, and I'm not getting any younger.

Best of luck!

Carl

Thanks, Carl! So far I count three iterations of the camera, the last being the Swiss cheese model, and the second using a thicker metal for the shell instead of a composite material used on the 1st-gen cameras.
    I guess I should have bought one when I had the chance, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd-gen with lighter bellows. My 150mm lens needs rise quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Rather, the size of the lens boards may be too small for the diameter of the Petzval!
    Is it the flange or the lens size that worry you? The front standard opening can be increased and a flange can either be cut or copied and cut to size

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Interesting the multiple versions, I was totally unaware until Ari brought this up. Too bad Bruce left us so early and the website never had much info on versions from what I remember.

I'd love to see what the options are for new bellows that aren't stiff, but preferably still strong - my last 8x10, a Wista, had paper bellows that I was very scared of piercing with a tree branch while hiking!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    Is it the flange or the lens size that worry you? The front standard opening can be increased and a flange can either be cut or copied and cut to size

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk
    No, not worried, I can adapt almost anything to my needs. But if the lens diameter is larger than the front standard, I'm not sure what I'd be able to do.
    I think it'll be fine, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Interesting the multiple versions, I was totally unaware until Ari brought this up. Too bad Bruce left us so early and the website never had much info on versions from what I remember.

I'd love to see what the options are for new bellows that aren't stiff, but preferably still strong - my last 8x10, a Wista, had paper bellows that I was very scared of piercing with a tree branch while hiking!
    Another member here contacted me privately, he's a long-time Wehman owner and knows about the various models.
    That's his "history" of the Wehman, and looking at the few photos on the web, it seems to line up with what's shown online.
    I know almost nothing about these cameras.

A nice write-up with this info would be super nice, if they don't mind. Maybe in a new thread. I wouldn't mind having that kind of info on-hand, instead of hunting around for it.

As an aside, here is what remains of his website, from the Internet Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20161101...om/camera.html
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I bought mine directly from Bruce in 2010. At that time, he offered both the regular model and the lightweight model with the holes. As I understand it, he got feedback from users throughout the time he made the cameras and made slight modifications all along. I got two lensboards with the camera. It appears to be a phenolic front with a wood backing. I had him make a third lensboard for a barrel lens, and that board appears to be all wood and painted black. The lensboards are the same size as B&J boards, except the lip on the B&J boards is too thick. I can’t find real aircraft plywood here anymore - the stuff sold at Hobby Lobby is more like balsa wood. I think I’ll order phenolic and use the weak plywood for the backing.

One advantage of this camera is that it can be used with a much lighter tripod - at least lighter than the one I used with my C1.

I had hoped someone would buy the business from Bruce’s estate to continue this great camera.

I regret not buying one directly from Bruce.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know