Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flange Troubles

Re: Flange Troubles

I am (potentially) about to face that same issue. I have a nice-ish, but not expensive, No-Name Rapid rectilinear with a machinist. Bought it without a flange and found one that fits in my parts grasb-bag. Only it is a "modern" flange and probably in a metric thread. Only turns twice and jams. . . .so I didn't force it. . . .right size wrong thread.

Will just have to wait and see.

A universal truth of vintage LF gear: There are only three types of mooning flange . . . .
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I had the same thing happen to me with a circa 1890 lens. A machinist told me that sometimes threads are "directional". He said that he was not referring to right-hand or left-hand threads but the way the threads were initially cut. Makes no sense to me but I am not a machinist.

(Shrek)

Machinists tend to cut threads as tight as they possibly can, this comes from a lifetime of working with engineers giving ridiculous tolerance specifications for everything. Photographers who happen to own a lathe cut threads as loose as possible, because we've had to remove jammed flanges and lens blocks and don't want to deal with galling and seized threads and the like. I would ask the machinist to run another pass on his lathe for you.

I would agree with Jody, being one of those photographers with a lathe and having cut threads to very close tolerances in the past with disastrous result. Threads didn’t really become standardized until the mid 20th century. Even though attempts had been made much earlier, anything that was made in the 19th century is not likely to be standardized beyond an individual maker or country. If I needed to make a flange, I would measure the thread, find a metric or other size that is pretty close in number of TPI and make the thread a bit on the loose side to allow for difference in thread shape. And then hope for the best.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Did you or the machinist measure the thread? If you know the thread why not ask here if someone has a matching flange?

some other threads with comparable flange questions/problems:

This is a large professional shop with many employees and has been around for a number of years. In the past I've found it an exercise in futility trying to match up large 19th C flanges. The new flange is already made, it just needs to be fine tuned.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad . Marvin View Post
    I would agree with Jody, being one of those photographers with a lathe and having cut threads to very close tolerances in the past with disastrous result. Threads didn’t really become standardized until the mid 20th century. Even though attempts had been made much earlier, anything that was made in the 19th century is not likely to be standardized beyond an individual maker or country. If I needed to make a flange, I would measure the thread, find a metric or other size that is pretty close in number of TPI and make the thread a bit on the loose side to allow for difference in thread shape. And then hope for the best.
    Yes, WWI prompted standardization among the Allied powers. I remember, vaguely as a kid at a bicycle shop, an older mechanic said "the English metric and the French metric didn't always agree" not sure exactly what that meant.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Ha! I remember watching the video of an astronaut by the name of...Musgrave? Cory Musgrave? At any rate...there he was, floating in space - fixing some problem, in situ, on the Hubble Telescope...and as he places his wrench on a bolt, he hesitates a bit, as he asks himself (audible on the video) "hmmm - righty-tighty...lefty-loosey?"
    Perhaps a bit of schtick?...

Depending upon your patience, the range of mismatch, you could try valve lapping compound from an Auto Parts store

Obviously work carefully and mask off ALL with tape and ?

The grit is cheap, in a small can and sold in various grits

I have used this for many things including engine valves

Often in a thin oil already, test it on something else

I would do this while watching a movie, put in the female thread, work slowly, don't get jammed

I REPEAT DON'T GET JAMMED

little by little

My last employer sold Clover out to Loctite, but still the same
    Tin Can

I didn't notice the weapons usage until I read the reviews...
    Tin Can

I wanted to say something like “He who has the last lap”...