Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flange Troubles

Re: Flange Troubles

No one has mentioned SK Grimes. why is that?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Not to mention that hot glue works great;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    No one has mentioned SK Grimes. why is that?
    Well I guess because they stopped to do that kind of work; thats what I read in another thread

My Flickr

Tell us more

in particular are Hot Melt drips removeable from an old uncoated lens glass surface?

and if we use Hot Melt on threads to make a 'flange' will it last

I have a rare lens that is too loose front element to Studio Shutter male threading, from I suppose decades of ... cleaning and polishing

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Tell us more

in particular are Hot Melt drips removeable from an old uncoated lens glass surface?

and if we use Hot Melt on threads to make a 'flange' will it last

I have a rare lens that is too loose front element to Studio Shutter male threading, from I suppose decades of ... cleaning and polishing
    I have used STANLEY DUALMELT Dual Temperature Glue Sticks for years now without a single failure. Prep for use on glass is to clean the glass first with lens cleaner. Prep for use on other surfaces is to thoroughly clean the surfaces with soap, rinse, and completely dry. Removal is easy by cutting the hardened glue with an X-ACTO knife and pulling it free. Supposedly low temperature (275 degrees F) for Arts and Crafts and high temperature (410 degrees F) for General Repair. My glue gun is a DEWALT with a ceramic head, which I was told was a high heat gun, but I have never been able to confirm that.

Matt Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    +1

Another vote for hot glue - I have several older lenses without flanges that I've hot glued to a lensboard. No failures yet.
    That is not to say there isn't a learning curve to using hot glue effectively and cleanly. It can be very messy and the burns it can cause are nothing to laugh at...
    Even monkeys fall from trees -- Japanese proverb

Good answers gentlemen

My primary usage of Hot Melt was my odd sculpture, I have posted here

and plan to again

soon, as selfie
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Well I guess because they stopped to do that kind of work; thats what I read in another thread
    They no longer do routine repair of leaf shutters, i.e. a CLA. Making custom (threaded) flanges is something they still offer, as well as making and stocking flanges and retaining rings for a number of shutters including the dial-set Compurs.

David

Tolerances required to make threads function are smaller than most would know or appreciate until they get directly involved with the complexities of how threads work, how they are made and all that can go so very wrong. Tolerances are typically in thousands of an inch or hundreds of a mm. Clearances between internal to external threads are typically in thousands of an inch or hundreds of mm. How much clearance depends on application. Threaded parts used in space flight or aerospace applications are going to be tighter toleranc_ed than common hardware store threaded parts used on the outdoor fence, same with materials.

What is most likely the problem with the threaded flange is thread standards from that era. Thread measurement and standardization did not happen until much post 1900 of the industrial age. Thread measurement and standardization became mandatory to allow for interchangeability. It is very possible the lens barrel threads were made to fit a specific lens flange when these parts were made.

~Solution is to have a flange made specific to this lens barrel's threads by a skilled machinist with the proper machine tools and tooling.

As for mounting the lens with glue.. Not worth the risk. The possibility of the glue becoming un-glued is high. If the lens became un-glued from the lens board, this can and will ruin a lot more than just your day.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Machinists tend to cut threads as tight as they possibly can, this comes from a lifetime of working with engineers giving ridiculous tolerance specifications for everything. Photographers who happen to own a lathe cut threads as loose as possible, because we've had to remove jammed flanges and lens blocks and don't want to deal with galling and seized threads and the like. I would ask the machinist to run another pass on his lathe for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    It is very possible the lens barrel threads were made to fit a specific lens flange when these parts were made.
    I have three 'identical' lenses (same model from same manufacturer) from the 1860s, They apprently have identical threads and flanges, only they aren't, or rather the tolerance is such that whilst they are nearly interchangeable, not all combinations of lens and flange fit. Given the difficulties of machining back then I'm not entirely surprised.