Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bergger Film Developer?

Re: Bergger Film Developer?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    This is highly problematic if true as it would mean Bergger is deliberately mislabeling/mischaracterizing the film’s emulsion speed, and by a large amount. Bergger clearly indicates this is an ISO 400 emulsion, so they would be violating the standard.
    There isn't a B&W emulsion out there that actually gives optimal results at "box speed", so Bergger is no different from the rest. I've never exposed any B&W film at the stated box speed and gotten negatives I consider better than "barely usable".

I have an expired box of Bergger Pancro ISO 120. But I stopped using it becuase of a pinkish residue that I could not get it with out scaping it off. It was soft and gummy when wet and dried hard. Any suggestions for removing it?

Does this film have the same problem as the earlier version about 15-20 years ago? That was nice but did not do expansion development well at all.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I read it as each box is $45 cheaper than Ilford, for a 25 sheet box.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    I read it as each box is $45 cheaper than Ilford, for a 25 sheet box.
    At Blue Moon Camera, I can buy Pancro400 for $125 a box (8x10) whereas HP5+ is $170 for a box. So yes, that's exactly what was being expressed: the Bergger product is $45 cheaper than the equivalent Ilford product.

I've been trying to get decent results with Bancro 400 for a few years now. Tried a few rolls of 120 and hated it. Tried some 4x5 sheet and hated it too. Had used Rodinal every time. I do NOT recommend even trying Rodinal with this. Gives the ugliest grain and no resolution, I just hate it.
    My opinion changed when I tried developing with Microphen. MUCH better results. More attractive grain and better tonality. Started to look like their promo shots finally.
    Still have some of the 4x5 left, and stoked up on a variety of developers, so I'm going to keep experimenting with different developers. Curious how it would look pulled a couple stops with Perceptol.
    I don't think I've tried it with PMK yet, but I may have...need to check my 120 shots and see if any of them have pyro look.

Quote Originally Posted by martiansea View Post
    I've been trying to get decent results with Bancro 400 for a few years now. Tried a few rolls of 120 and hated it. Tried some 4x5 sheet and hated it too. Had used Rodinal every time. I do NOT recommend even trying Rodinal with this. Gives the ugliest grain and no resolution, I just hate it.
    My opinion changed when I tried developing with Microphen. MUCH better results. More attractive grain and better tonality. Started to look like their promo shots finally.
    Still have some of the 4x5 left, and stoked up on a variety of developers, so I'm going to keep experimenting with different developers. Curious how it would look pulled a couple stops with Perceptol.
    I don't think I've tried it with PMK yet, but I may have...need to check my 120 shots and see if any of them have pyro look.
    This mirrors my experience as well: Rodinal gave very poor results, with ugly, clumpy grain, poor tonality and very poor shadow detail. ANY other developer is better.

That pinkish residue is most likely the antihalation coating. That drove me nuts at first. Two things I learned from Berrger is that you must used a pre-rinse of about two minutes, and you must fix twice as long as you do with most other films. Also, the pre-rinse is far more effective with about a half a teaspoon of baking soda dissolved into it. As far as films already developed...ain't got it figured out what to do with those.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Michael,
    Thanks for the advice. i will give baking soda a try

Francis

Willie,
    The earlier versions of Bergger film from about 15-20 years ago were re-badged Forte films from Europe. Since Forte had an earlier connection to Kodak (pre-World War II I believe, the Bergger advertising at the time claimed a similarity to Kodak XX film. The Forte/Bergger films were good, but the 200 ISO version was best developed at an EI of 100. Also, the staff at Freestyle, which sold the Bergger films, apparently were quite open to admitting it really was Forte film. But then the switch to digital caused Forte to go under and shut down, and that ended the original Bergger offerings.

Keith