Hello Everyone! - Hope you are all doing well these days. I have a question about film plane registration differing from critical focus on the ground glass:

I have some test shots back from my Kodak Master View 5x7 / 8x10 and I am wondering if anyone out there has ever had to put shims under their GG so that the GG registers at the exact same distance as the film in the film holder. For the sake of this conversation lets please leave out talk of film plane flatness, vacuum backs, and stopping down more to achieve optimal focus / more depth of field.

I specifically want to know if anyone has found that there is a noticeable discrepancy between their GG and their negs. I know that no camera is perfect, and that a tiny bit of wiggle room is to be expected. I'm using Lisco Regal IIs for my 8x10 holders and Fidelity Elite's for my 5x7 holders. I'll add that these holders are in mint condition. I'll also add that my ground glass on the KMV is both original and installed correctly for both my 5x7 backs and my 8x10. The actually real world effect of the problem is that the point of focus in the negatives falls just inches in front of what was the point of critical focus on the GG.

Just wondering if anyone has had to put shims under the GG of their KMV due to slight (but noticeable) film plane registration problems. I'm sure there has been talk on this before. Hopefully you all can give me your insight on this issue

Thank you!

- M