Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak Master View 8x10 / 5x7 film plane and GG question

Re: Kodak Master View 8x10 / 5x7 film plane and GG question

I put a micrometer depth gauge on the GG holder and noted that the depth was already almost too deep to meet spec, so I removed the fresnel screen and put it on the smooth outside of the ground glass screen. If it scratches too much, it's easy enough to replace. What I did notice is that the GG frame corners needed to be routed out a bit to allow the GG to sit accurately and flat on the frame. The fresnel does definitely help illumination very noticeably and is worth retaining so long as it does not interfere with accurate focus.

Thank you to everyone for your kind suggestions.

A thought

OP said his GG is OE

are you sure?

I no longer have a KMV, but the OE GG is very different than any other

working from memory, the OE glass seemed very thin and was not 'GG' aka Ground Glass but a coating in a pattern with clear areas for...aerial view?
    Tin Can

Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread. I'm still trying to get down to how this could happen. I'm going to try and reproduce the problem of the focus falling just before the actual subject.

In the meantime take care everyone!

I had a KMV and it came with Lisco Regal film holders.
    Right off the bat the focus was off. I worked on the camera, having assumed that film plane registration was off.
    Well, after bending the stamped metal back flat and sanding down the area where the GG sits, it seemed to work better.
    Later on, I kept having occasional trouble, and found that the film holders varied quite a bit in where they positioned the film plane.
    This varied from one side of the holder to the other, and from one holder to another.
    Toyo film holders are much better and more consistent in this regard, so I bought a few of those and the film-plane problem went away for good.