Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

Re: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

I'm looking for an affordable Gitzo Giant for some tall shooting on the road or in a studio, with stout aluminum legs, and the other features like Delux Studix Performance, (sp? it's late)which will give good performance for any 4x5, medium and small format cameras in difficult places or high winds.

I have used this type of about 8 foot Gitzo before and despite the weight, found it excellent.

I have smaller, Gitzo Reporter (three section legs) with a non-geared, two section center post and have loved it every minute I've ever used it and I like aluminum tripods such as these much nicer to use than 'super materials' like carbon.

Carbon won't make much of an impression on a dog, bear, thief, or oncoming motorcycle like a heavy metal Gitzo unit will, and almost always stays put, with a camera bag centered between three legs.

I've had large and medium Manfrotto and Bogen tripods and currently have a medium weight Davis and Sanford for studio use, if needed, but nothing beats Gitzo performance, for my needs.

I'll put a wanted ad on site as soon as I finish this, but for my limited dollars, I feel the quality of the older Gitzo tripods/heads is a much better buy, even if you can afford new carbon.

IMO.

Drew Wiley

Re: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

My first tripod in the mountains was a Gitzo Reporter. One learns pretty fast the significant disadvantage of metal in seriously cold conditions. As soon as they came out with an equivalent carbon fiber unit I bought it and have never regretted the decision. But the first thing I did with it was permanently removed the center column and replace it with a centered turnbolt from below. Extension columns make zero sense for large cameras unless you're exposing with high speed flash in studio to tame the inevitable vibrations. Field use is an entirely different ballgame.

If you are looking for wood, then I recommend Ries or Berlebach. I've owned both but prefer Ries for the leg locks and the double tilt heads. Both have excellent customer service whether you buy new or used. I own both Ries J100 and Ries A100 tripods with double tilt heads. Each support my Wehman 8x10 camera.

If you are looking at carbon fiber then contact Ari at FLM. He's a friend of mine and a great guy. He will be glad to answer all your questions. Ari is also a well respected member here on the forum too. He let me play with an FLM tripod once and they are very well made. People here on the forum who have bought from Ari have said that they were very happy with both him and the FLM tripods they bought.

https://www.flmcanada.com

Eric Woodbury

Alan, true enough. I just ordered a tripod from Ari, designed to my liking.

It all depends on the 8x10. I have an Arca Swiss Misura style 8x10 that weighs under 13 lbs, and my Feisol 3372CF tripod has no problem supporting this camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I had a Ries A-100 and hated it. I replaced it with a Manfrotto 3058 and love it. Same size and weight as the Ries but goes up twice as high.
    Tripods are like cameras. A personal choice. What is right for one person is wrong for the next. It's fun arguing though!

Oh, and The Rolling Stones are still better than the Beatles!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    There is already a separate thread on “best ”. We can’t make sweeping statements here. Let’s try to answer OP’s question.

The problem though is that the OP doesn’t say what 8x10 camera he has or what the use case is.
    This thread absolutely exploded haha so my apologies that I'm getting to this now (and still reading through the new posts); but this is a fair question. To answer it:

I don't have an 8x10 yet but was looking at either a Chamonix 810V or, much more likely, an Intrepid 8x10 to start. My current 4x5 is a Chamonix 45F2 but I started on an Intrepid 4x5 MK2 so I'm aware of the quality vs cost tradeoffs. I had also looked at some used (and quite heavy) monorails but I think I'd prefer a field camera. I have looked at some Deardorf's as well though their cost often approaches (or even exceeds) the Chammy price which I think is rather overpriced given the materials used in the Chammy along with the movements and the age of the Deardorf's (beautiful cameras though!)

Part of the reason I don't have an 8x10 kit yet is needing to get the everything-else such as a lens that covers 8x10, a tripod, etc. But if I was going to buy one today, I would likely be the Intrepid. It doesn't look nearly as professional but at the end of the day it's about making the photos, not how I look making the photos and I think it would be a good start as a means to see if I'll like 8x10 as a format or not without having to tie a bunch of capital up in the experiment.

TL;DR - I don't have an 8x10 camera yet but it will very likely be a lightweight field camera

Drew Wiley

I wouldn't get hooked on the cult-status of a Dorff. It might have once deserved its reputation; but a Chamonix will be a lot more functionally practical. I'd buy one if I didn't already own the godfather of that whole lineage of camera design, namely, the original 8x10 Phillips. In the field, simpler is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post

Oh, and The Rolling Stones are still better than the Beatles!
    What a nonsense ! :-)

Can understand that 8X10s require mo' heavier than 4X5.... so maybe a Reiss or Surveyor's type of tripod is required. However, thankfully with no more than a 4X5, I'm very happy with a RRS - but not because of the brand, but because of the weight. Personally, I find ALL tripods are too expensive. I would almost reverse the discussion and begin with the tripod head you plan to use or think you need and work backwards from there. I think the head matters more... and highly highly highly recommend a geared head (Manfrotto 410 as a start) for the stability of the adjustment process - especially as the poundage of the camera rises. I bought one used from KEH for a huge discount off new (maybe $150?), and would then couple it with a used tripod to mount it on. Tin Can's right in that we all buy a lot of the wrong stuff. So start used and make mistakes at a fraction of the cost, and then when you know what you like and don't about your gear - fix the problems from a base of experience. I didn't, and my wallet now has a fairly low opinion of its owner. The point of opinions on this forum is a challenge to NOT make our mistakes but each of us has a different tale of woe. Like the old adage: "Wisdom is learned through experience, but most of the experience that teaches is bad." Truth is there are many right solutions, but more that aren't.