Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

Re: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

I use a CF Gitzo for anything 5x7 and under. For 8x10 and 7x17 it's going to be Ries tripods with their two way heads. Have a surveyor tripod but never liked it, esp with the cord leg spread thing. If you can afford them, I'd go with either the appropriately sized CF Gitzo, or a Ries.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Re: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

Beyond all that has already been greatly discussed about tripods (material, construction, brands, no center column and...) ability to balance the weight distribution of the camera makes a significant difference. This is easy on some monorail and field folder cameras, other cameras not possible at all. This means the tripod or camera support is forced to deal with off balance weight of the camera. This puts more stress on the tripod/camera support than it would have been loaded with a balanced camera on the tripod/camera support.

Rated weight capacity of the tripod is much secondary to the stability, rigidity, vibration control of any tripod. Beyond the tripod is the tripod head with all it's potential issues good and bad. Do this LF or similar image making stuff long enough, grows little tolerance for marginal and iffy camera support devices... as they have a great tendency to wreck your images in remarkable ways.

Bernice

Drew Wiley

Large folders tend to have a " dumbbell" wobble factor to a significantly greater degree than monorails, where most of the torque stress tends to be linear. One more reason for a platform-style mounting with good rigid legs directly beneath, distributing that force. Back when photographers looked at me like I was a nut for lugging Sinar gear all over the mountains, I pointed out how easy it was to balance the system anywhere along the rail, and how the use of longer rails allowed for petite long focal-length lenses versus bulky telephotos. Add the weight of everything up, and Sinar had distinctly more manageable field system than the Technikas that were routine back then, at least if someone wanted something rugged made of metal. Sinars had the additional advantage of modular components, making repairs and reconfiguration straightforward. I mostly work with the Sinar Norma now, which is only a pound more than comparable F models.

Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

There is already a separate thread on “best ”. We can’t make sweeping statements here. Let’s try to answer OP’s question.

The problem though is that the OP doesn’t say what 8x10 camera he has or what the use case is.

Just based on the fact that his 4x5 are light weights (intrepid, Chamonix), I’m tempted to say that if you have a lightweight 8x10 (Chamonix alpinist, intrepid) and if want to minimize cost, a Leofoto CF tripod *and* a leveling base could be obtained for less than $500 and give you what you need: good stability (not the best but more than adequate), good packing ability, not too much weight, and some ability to level/point the camera. Of course if you need to point straight down then you will need something else.

If you have a heavy 8x10 then the tripod spectrum is radically different.

Drew Wiley

I have way too much field experience with a "lightweight" 8x10 (an original Phillips folder) to lump it into the same tripod category as anything merely 4x5 suitable. I can't even use the same Ries wooden model, or things would intolerably vibrate and wobble. My 8x10 CF tripod has distinctly thicker, stiffer legs than the CF tripod which works fine for all my 4x5 needs, even very long monorail extensions. Talk comes cheap. What does make sense, however, is to make certain you have return privileges if a model you happen to pick out does not prove stable enough under setup simulations. I'm frankly flabergasted when I encounter LF photographers losing their mind waiting for a camera to stop vibrating and settle down because they wanted to save just another pound or two of carry weight - but then there's a big heavy padded case sitting there beside them!

Save up for your dream gear and ignore the GAS and Gotta Have it Now syndrome.

You can modify most heads to accept an arca style QR release and plate or even a video QR/plate. If you buy the type of QR system that allows the QR plate to slide through then you can use a short or long rail for camera balance.
    One other consideration no one mentions is walking with the camera mounted to the Tripod/head/QR system. All need to work together and not move if you tilt it or sling it over your shoulder.

My set up
    FLM CF34-L4. (heavy duty and rated for more weight than my camera + lens will ever be)
    Manfrotto 3 way Head with Normal QR plates for 4x5 and 5x12 (support rated at 17lbs)

I also have an older Aluminum Tripod with a GIOTTOS MH3000 and Video QR system. It held my Canon DSLR and a 600mm lens stable.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Linhof Technika(s) aka metal folder with the fixed point of tripod attachment and the IMO severe limitations with wide angle lenses became THE reasons they got booted from the usable camera list.

Might not be easily apparent initially as these Linhof camera are so well made and precision.. until the camera and bellows is racked all out with a BIG (copal# 3 shutter, largest that lens board will tolerate) long focal lens hanging on the lens end of the camera.. causing more camera support system (tripod and tripod head) instability than should be tolerated. Yet, they are not the only folders like this.

Again, with the Norma, simply slide the set up on the rail clamp until it balances on the support system and it makes ALL the difference in stability and vibration tolerance.

None of this is initially apparent with a "normal_ish" focal length lens, once the camera is pushed to it's extension and lens support limits with these problems will become apparent and less tolerable.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Back when photographers looked at me like I was a nut for lugging Sinar gear all over the mountains, I pointed out how easy it was to balance the system anywhere along the rail, and how the use of longer rails allowed for petite long focal-length lenses versus bulky telephotos. Add the weight of everything up, and Sinar had distinctly more manageable field system than the Technikas that were routine back then, at least if someone wanted something rugged made of metal.

Another vote here for FLM.
    I have an FLM CP38-L4 II and couldn't be happier. I purchased it originally as a replacement for my big Ries (precursor to the A-100). I love the Ries and I love "vintage", so that tripod has a natural place under my 100 year-old Folmer & Schwing 12x20 as shown below. The CP38-L4 II is a very robust tripod and is made exceptionally well. Yes, it's expensive. But good things are. And besides, it's much less than hiring an assistant to carry the Ries.
    After I bought the FLM last summer I happily sold my big Gitzo.
    The FLM works for me for any format down to the little stuff.

Ari Tapiero is a member of this forum and the NA distributor for FLM. He is simply super to work with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4979.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	213714

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4963.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	213715

The FOBA C40 is the tripod in the Norma catalog for the 8x10 Norma. Over time I have accumulated two of them. My Zone VI Lightweight has never failed and survived being thrown into the trunk of my car hundreds of times during architectural assignments. It's been in the crashing surf in the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico. It still lives. Manfrottos are lighter and more likely to fail. But they can be replaced reasonably when you just need the legs. Another FOBA I recently got is an ALFAE which came along for 180 Bucks so I could not say no. Later I looked it up in B&H and it's $1800. This tripod is MUCH lighter than the FOBA C40 but will solidly support an 8x10 Norma in high wind. The legs are infinitely extendable with FOBA Combitubes, of which I have a lot.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Speaking of Foba I bought a case of their sticks to build location platforms

Wish I had bought the second case too

I had no idea what I was buying for $20
    Tin Can