Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

Lachlan 717

Re: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    To make it easier for us, please make links to the products you consider

The general rule here is big wood https://www.riestripod.com/
    To make it easier for the person posting the information, please find links to the product you consider using Google.

As for your contention about the “general rule” being wood, I think you mean, “my rule”...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Drew Wiley

Re: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

There's wood, and then there's wood. There's carbon fiber, and then there's carbon fiber. There's aluminum, and then there's aluminum. In other words, there's a significant range of build quality in any of these respective categories. Regardless, toy tripods are for toy cameras.

Thanks everyone! That was, uhh, a lot Gave me a lot to think about for sure with a wide array of options to consider. I'm not sure I'm any closer to figuring out which one to get but found some good sources for LF specific applications so thanks everyone - this has been very very helpful!

OP could post a WTB: 'Tripod' and see what comes up

I have only one little Ries, old model C, I bought on this forum

I use it for 5X7 lawn pictures of people and buildings. The spikes work well on lawn and my rig looks authentic

The 5X7 Poco is also light and matches, I cheat using a Horseman QR with no head

Ries C by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    The truth is we all have at least 3 mistake tripods
    Agree 100%. As far as heads go, I probably have had at least 5 mistake heads. The one brand that has never failed me is Kessler. Only regret was not acquiring one of their K-POD Tripods.

Might look for used Gitzo tripods - the larger models with the "wing nut" locking pieces on the legs. They will hold up well, are solid and seem to last forever. On the used market you find them high priced to often very low - because of their size and weight.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

What’s the use case? If you’re hiking, a wood tripod and a ries head is not a (realistic) option for most people.

Look into a CF tripod from Gitzo, FLM or RSS instead, or a Leofoto if cost is paramount. Choose based on height/weight/load needs and stowed length. They will cost around the $1K range, Leofoto less than half that (everything in life is a compromise).

IMO Manfrotto, MeFoto, etc, are mistakes. You’ll end up spending more money.

Foamer

Look for a used Gitzo 1325. Very sturdy and reasonably priced on ebay. Bought mine 15 years ago and it's going strong. I don't have a center column and never missed it.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Eric Woodbury

No, we don't all agree on Reis.

Ok, lets post tripods

My hopefully last ever new tripod is this

I also bought the 100mm half ball so I wouldn't need a head

A member here is the NA sales Rep

Designed in Germany, made in China

I really like it, big spikes come with it, they are threaded 3/8-16 a near universal threading on tripods world wide

My hands hurt from decades of labor, this FLM I can adjust, but not old Gitzo of similar capacity
    Last edited by Tin Can; 12-Mar-2021 at 09:00.
    Tin Can