Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

I feel like I failed with having to ask yet another tripod question here. But it's a bit of information overload and hard to find large format recommendations from the manufacturers directly. So I apologize if this is a bit of a re-hash but thought I'd ask since some of the previous threads are now several years old that I was able to dig up.

So I have a MeFoto RoadTrip and an Sirui T-025X that I use for all my cameras. The 025X I've used for backpacking with the Intrepid 4x5 even and it works rather well (bring a bag for rocks!). The RoadTrip also does a good job with all my cameras (including my Chamonix 45F2). But it isn't always the most stable, is a bit short, and might be precarious for 8x10. I'm sure it could support the weight of an 8x10, at least the Intrepid, but that might be asking a lot, especially at the taller heights.

Trying to find a more stout tripod that can handle 8x10 and is a bit taller. Being able to turn the center post 90 degrees would be a nice, but not need, to have as well. I don't have real opinions on ball vs pan/tilt heads much either. I currently use ball heads and I haven't had any major issues.

Given what I've read so far (here and elsewhere), that kinda points Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 tripod and something like the 502AH head (it's a video pan/tilt but I think that'd work for large format?). The Aluminum one in my case because the carbon one has skyrocketed in price. But I also saw a Benro A2573F and K&F Concept S210 (the latter being the least expensive of the lot).

Anyone have experience with these? Pretty sure I've seen the Manfrotto X-Pro 3 recommended and I'm leaning that way given it's well known and has some use-cases, but I'm less sure about pan/tilt heads and things of that sort.

Drew Wiley

Re: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

When it comes to supporting view cameras, you really can't expect cheap lightweight ordinary tripods to perform adequately. Ignore published weight ratings. What counts is vibration and flex resistance. One very affordable option is to convert a wooden fiberglass-clad survey tripod to camera use by simply changing out its 5/8-11 inch turnbolt with a standard camera thread 3/8-16 turnbolt. Avoid cheap Chinese versions. A decent US brand like CST will run you 150 bucks or so, or be an even better bargain used. Of course, a real deal Ries maple wood tripod like many of use is a wonderful thing to work with, but far more expensive. When it comes to carbon fiber, you really need to test them for stability with reference to the specific LF camera you have in mind. There are numerous brand options, but anything appropriate for LF work is going to run at least three or four hundred dollars. Used big aluminum tripods will cost less, but be a bit heavier. But this is not an equipment arena where you want to compromise. LF film itself is somewhat getting expensive, and any situation there is vibration or wobble during an exposure is a wasted piece of film, and worse, wasted effort. Get the most solid tripod you can realistically afford, and the best head (an associated topic, but I don't use any tripod head at all, for sake of optimal stability).

Re: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

To make it easier for us, please make links to the products you consider

The general rule here is big wood https://www.riestripod.com/
    Tin Can

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    To make it easier for us, please make links to the products you consider

The general rule here is big wood https://www.riestripod.com/
    To make it easier for the person posting the information, please find links to the product you consider using Google.

As for your contention about the “general rule” being wood, I think you mean, “my rule”...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Eric Woodbury

I have 3 8x10 capable tripods: a wooden Miller, an aluminum Paillard, and a carbon fiber Gitzo. The Gitzo was terribly expensive. The Miller is for cinema cameras and is the strongest, most solid and comfortable tripod of the lot. I got this one from Morley Baer. Miller has since given up on wood and has moved to Australia. Paillard is similar in design to Miller with trombone legs. These are available used and are very cheap.

I carry tripod and camera on my shoulder. The Miller style is the most comfortable for this; the Gitzo the least. I use a Gitzo head on all of these and make no use of the ball and socket style used for cinema.

The truth is we all have at least 3 mistake tripods

and only you can decide
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    The truth is we all have at least 3 mistake tripods
    Agree 100%. As far as heads go, I probably have had at least 5 mistake heads. The one brand that has never failed me is Kessler. Only regret was not acquiring one of their K-POD Tripods.

Thanks folks! I hadn't though about a surveyor's tripod hah that's clever! And wow Ries looks beautiful! Also hadn't though to look at cinema tripods, hmm interesting!

Fair point on the links Tin. The ones I was looking at in my original post are:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ead.html/specs
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ipod_with.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ra_tripod.html

I'd expect K&F to be likely worse than the tripods I already have, I just noticed it was taller but clearly is built to an extremely low price and I'd expect that's a no-go. Benro I also just saw by browsing B&H but didn't find info on it.

Of those, I was originally most interested in the Manfrotto. This site was shared in one of the threads a few years old - it doesn't have nearly every tripod, but seems to have the common ones I hear about (just not in the context of large format):

https://thecentercolumn.com/tripod-reviews/

Drew Wiley

NONE of the above. Avoid anything with a center column, or else remove that portion of it; it will be counterproductive for typical LF applications. Mt own lightweight relatively affordable CF tripod for 8x10 use is a Feisol CT3472 with the optional spike feet; and I've tweaked the top somewhat for direct platform attachment using a turnbolt (analogous to the Ries method), since that is easy to do on this model. I regard it as a wise old-age investment if my preferred large Ries eventually gets too heavy for me. I have an equivalent pair of triods for 4X5 and MF applications instead, namely, a lighter wt Gitzo CF and a medium weight Ries wooden tripod. If you can possibly afford a Ries, do it. It's the one brand which probably everyone on this forum agrees about. It often helps to have the sheer bully mass of a somewhat heavy wooden tripod, especially in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    . . . NONE of the above. Avoid anything with a center column, or else remove that portion of it; it will be counterproductive for typical LF applications.
    For heavier cameras like most 8x10s, that's good advice.

But for lightweight cameras, a center column can be useful. I've used my Feisol CF tripod with it's center-column installed for Arca Swiss 4x5, Sinar 4x5, etc. It's also good for medium format cameras and 35mm digital.

That said, I wouldn't extend it much past it's middle extension. Otherwise, it's just asking for moment arm vibrations.