Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

Another vote for the Ries. Quite a list of satisfied users: Ansel Adams, Edward, Brett, and Cole Weston, Paul Strand, Paul Caponigro, Michael Smith, Paula Chamlee, Tillman Crane...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Re: Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

I seem to disagree with everyone. A stout CF is stout. Maybe not as stiff as a Ries, but not as heavy or expensive, so you have a trade off there. I think that pro 35mm cameras with long lenses put way more stress on a tripod than a balanced 8x10 with a typical landscape lens (except in windy conditions). To me the most important part of a tripod is the head, and that's were I made the most mistakes.

Drew Wiley

I foolishly bought a Zone VI tripod once. A few snow trips and the top began delaminating. The legs literally froze up if they got wet in freezing weather. It was just a modified survey tripod, but not even a good survey tripod. After making a new top the right way, and switching out its rusty ferrous parts, I eventually gave it to a friend for his night telescope. Ries is in a completely different league.

One problem with CF tripods is their lack of weight. That's a "pro" when you're carrying it, but a distinct "con" if you're setting up on spongy ground or in windy conditions. When I modified my Feisol CF for direct platform attachment of my 8X10 (no intervening head), I didn't use an ordinary turn-knob below the platform, but a stainless steel hook with 3/8-16 threading. That way I have something to hang my meter from, or in terms of increasing overall bully mass, can hang a mesh bag full of rocks if necessary.

Yep, wind..... A big view camera is essentially a kite, unless you happen to be a polka musician, and then it's an accordion. I've had the whole nine yards picked up and tossed by gusts of wind on several occasions - 8X10 camera, larger Ries maple tripod n' all. Fortunately, in each instance so far, it had a soft landing on grass or wildflowers. I don't think I want to roll that pair of dice again, however. Lately, I've been working with the P67 system on these windy March days instead. The 8x10 will come into its own next month. But the same Ries and specific CF tripod I use for 8x10 comes into play for my big 300EDIF P67 tele. It has two mounting sockets, one on the camera body and the other on a lens collar, and these are unitized to a bar of sealed maple hardwood, which in turn gets bolted directly to the platform tops of these tripods. That's how I evenly balance that kind of "tele on steroids". Way way more stable than the conventional methods of doing this.

Suggest series 3 Gitzo (aluminum or carbon, can be 3 or 4 leg sections) with 1570 Magnesium head should work very well up t0 5x7. This may be suitable for 8x10 given weight and sturdiness, but I have never used 8x10. Drew mentions no center post, but frankly if you need added stability, you can hang added weight from the center post - otherwise, not useful unless you intend to extend the tripod above standing eye level and you are using a lift of ladder.

The only downside to this is the weight and I am suffering severe shoulder arthritis from carrying this weight along with an 8 pound camera over my shoulder for more than 35 years.

These tripods can be had used but need frequent leg/joint cleaning along with lithium lubricant to function well. They can take a lot of abuse but must be given TLC often.

Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

C’mon guys, a ries tripod is 12 lbs and their head is 4 lbs.

You can get a CF tripod in the 3-4 lbs range and a leveling head for another lb. that’s like 3-4 times lighter.

I’m sure all the famous photographer used a ries, just as I’m sure they didn’t have to carry it themselves.

Everything has its place, and a ries is a great tripod if you don’t have to walk too far. Otherwise CF is the best option.

Everything’s a compromise.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Everything has its place, and a ries is a great tripod if you don’t have to walk too far. Otherwise CF is the best option.

Everything’s a compromise.
    And an 8x10 is the best camera compromise if you're walking a long ways?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Finding tripods for Large Format is kinda hard (daunting)? Favorite LF tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    And an 8x10 is the best camera compromise if you're walking a long ways?
    You can get a 8x10 that weights 6.5 lbs, two lenses and 2-3 light film holders, etc, you can get everything you need under 25lbs, add water/food etc, and you have a doable load for long hikes.

Is that format the best camera compromise? Probably not.

Is a film camera the best camera compromise? Probably not.

Is photography the best career compromise? Probably not.

We don’t all make choices that are ‘best’ all the time. Sometimes not even once.

But that’s a separate discussion. My point is that if 8x10 is a fixed parameter then there are tripod options that enable long hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post

One problem with CF tripods is their lack of weight. That's a "pro" when you're carrying it, but a distinct "con" if you're setting up on spongy ground or in windy conditions. When I modified my Feisol CF for direct platform attachment of my 8X10 (no intervening head), I didn't use an ordinary turn-knob below the platform, but a stainless steel hook with 3/8-16 threading. That way I have something to hang my meter from, or in terms of increasing overall bully mass, can hang a mesh bag full of rocks if necessary.

Yep, wind..... A big view camera is essentially a kite
    An 8 foot piece of rope weighs a few ounces yet it can be used to anchor the lightest of tripods to the ground or a heavy pack. I have found it useful to secure my pack and/or tripod to a nearby tree when on very precarious perches.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Drew Wiley

Rope is somewhat elastic. But yes, I've done that. But it's even more important to tether yourself in such places! I routinely carried a short length of 1/2-inch kevlar line (25 or 30 ft) for raising or lowering the pack over difficult sections while scrambling rock or ice. Lots or uses. But at my present age, I try to avoid those difficult spots and have substituted a much lighter hank of line as part of routine backpacking kit.

I have two Ries J-100-2’s and one A-100. Wouldn’t use anything else.