Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many film holders?

Re: How many film holders?

I have 14 4x5
    and a dozen 5x7

I keep 4 to 6 filled with my favorite B&W
    then a couple with a faster B&W film and a couple each with a different color films

I can leave some in the truck and just take what I need - but then - I am not hiking any real distance so a return trip for more is not a problem, if i am taking two cameras and tripods I pack it in one of those folding wagons

I have some very small labels I got at Staples to ID the film in them - they seem to stay on but come off easy when I want to change things up

4x5 - about 20, plus 4 Grafmatics and 1 Kinematic
    5x7 - 6
    8x10 - 8, + one custom 4x10 holder
    12x20 - 4

I never load out in the field. Occasionally at hotel or wherever I am staying I will load extra sheets as needed. I only take what I think I'll need, but long trips can sometimes mean I need more if I hit a stride.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

5x4 - I rarely use more than 6 holders in a given day, but I may have more with me in the car if I think the light conditions might warrant it. I do find that I cannot always process as fast as I expose film, so I acquired around 20 holders over time, plus a grafmatic that goes with the MPP. I only empty holders into boxes for exposed film when I absolutely have to - better to minimize the handling and dust risk. Cleaned and empty holders are bagged and go into a particular box. Any other holder is presumed to be 'open in the dark' only!

8x10 is 4 holders. I might get another one or two, but 4 seems enough. Since I sometimes do 4x10 or 5x8 using an in-camera mask I can get good use out of 8 sheets at the expense of adding a post-it with the exposure sketch with each holder.

I think it does pay to have enough holders to divide nicely into 25 sheets (3, 4, 6, 12). I always note how many sheets are left in a box - it saves disappointment 8-)

No idea how many total holders I have

I doubt I ever need to buy more

My favorite are NOS wood 2X3 in OE boxes
    Tin Can

Five holders and a changing bag, keep it manageable.

probably at least 30-40 4x5, maybe 20 5x7, 25-30 8x10, and four 7x17. Am transitioning to 5x7 so will likely purge most of the 4x5, but keep the Riteways with the locks. Majority are stored in Photobackpacker cases.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I have many film holders in different sizes from 4x5 to 12x20. I usually take 6 films holders and a change bag with me on vacation/trip.

I have about 20 4x5 holders. I regularly shoot portraits where I might get through quite a few holders so I often will have them all loaded for a shoot (although I would rarely use that many). If I am out hiking in the countryside four is the most I take with me.

The weight of film holders is surprising and adds up quickly, IMHO. I try to limit my formats (which have already been reduced over the years) and pick one format for a given excursion instead of a smorgasbord. Same with lenses (although I know that wasn't the topic). Age sucks.
    The Rolleiflex looks pretty damn good some days!

But to answer the question:
    5x7 - 6
    8x10 - 12 or so, but carry only about 3 at a time
    14x17 - 5*
    12x20 - 3*

*ULF is a different beast altogether. Rather than carrying the entire kit (yeah, right?), I will scout a location with my iPhone (taking snapshots and notes re: time, date, lighting, etc.), then return at a preordained time on a strike mission to make the image. Strolling with a 12x20 is not in my repertoire. But maybe I should consider it some time...

Note to self: Ya think film holders are bad? Try plate holders!
    Sorry Jason!