Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huge Lens Shutter & Adaptors

Huge Lens Shutter & Adaptors

This morning my DIY glue up shutter box to adapt very big lenses to 8X10 Rembrandt

Getting there, this adapter and shutter fits inside the camera, the lens is supported on the heavy duty front standard which can support any lens I have...now

Portrait 8X10 6 lbs by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

NOS Packard Kalamazoo Michigan USA by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

8X8 inch shutter box extension by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

4 inch ID NOS Packard with Sync by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Re: Huge Lens Shutter & Adaptors

Pretty cool. Where do you find this stuff

Tin Can, thank you for sharing your solution to a large shutter.
    Is your setup order like lens>lensboard>front frame of camera>shutter box>shutter?
    When you finish your DIY, I’d like to see your complete kit configuration!

I’m also about to mount a brand new hand made 9.13” square packard shutter with 5” hole from Jon Gilchrist.
    I may choose one of the following options:
    1. mounting the shutter in front of the lens
    2. mounting the shutter in between the lens and front frame
    3. mounting the shutter in between the front frame and the rear frame

I probably choose 1 and plan to make a custom made waterhouse stop that can sandwich an ND acetate filter but I am concerned about light leaks from waterhouse slot (even with a slot inserted) and rack and pinion barrel space of petzval lenses like my Dallmeyer 3A if any. Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F73AF84-4C5F-40DA-98F5-1F0C7151593B.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	213626

The another bad point of choice 1 is the required shutter hole size tends to larger than choice 2 and 3....
    If the shutter hole vignettes then the effective aperture f number becomes larger than the original fastest f number of the lens....

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Pretty cool. Where do you find this stuff
    One source for a large pneumatic shutter is The Packard Ideal Company:
    https://packardshutter.com/

I have a less impressive project on progress with them. They have smaller shutters in stock and can build something larger on request.

I am having a shutter with a 2" opening installed on my lens board with the fittings for the rubber tube and so on. I myself just do not have the minimal tools and skills to DIY it.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Tangent: I have seen barrel mountd classic/vintage/antique lenses mounted to a "modern" leaf shutter via a plastic thread adapter. this should be more flexible in terms of shutter speed while remaining

Anybody doing this? the photographic "look" on a print, but looks a bit Steampunk or Franken-camera.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Yes, I will be posting more details soon

Congratulations for buying new https://packardshutter.com/

I won't front mount a Packard as it adds weight in the wrong place, will add vibration and may reduce value of a valuable lens

I also like to use as inside shutter as then I can fit many lenses on one camera

I have several Packard installations and will post soon what I have done

I eagerly await news and usage of the 5" NEW Packard product

I tried an old 5" ID Packard type not made by Packard Ideal with an extra shutter leaf

It never worked for me or Peter De Smidt
    Tin Can

I was torn a bit on whether or not to mount the Packard to this great looking wooden lens board. I have an adapter board for the Kodak 2D which takes Linhoff/Toyo notched boards.

The latter approach would let other barrel lenses interchange. In the end, I went with the wooden board. Maybe I'll do it all over later on.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

First step is Modern Linhof Boards, then various adapters

Best adapter is Sinar, but best receiver for Sinar is Horseman

and so on

pictures soon
    Tin Can

When I set up my Ansco 8x10 I got the largest synched Packard I thought I'd need, then built a box behind the board an inch or so deep and mounted the shutter back there, to allow for lenses that hang out the back, and cut a hole in the front of the board to fit the standard board size from my 5x7 Ansco. That way I can mount any of the lenses I use on the 5x7, shuttered or not, on the 8x10, as well as any lenses without shutters that I want to use on the 8x10, all mounted on the same 5x7 board.

This works well because I only use the 8x10 in my studio and for that I like a Packard better than a normal shutter. So if the lens has its own shutter, I just open it and ignore it. And if I wanted to use any of the shutterless lenses on my 5x7, I could do that, too, but without a shutter. The shutterless lens I like the best, an 11.5" Verito, mounts there, or if I want to use it on the 5x7 I made a front mounted Packard for just that lens by using the mounting hardware for a 3" barndoor--three setscrews to hold it on, so I could use it for any lens in a similar size range.

I've got a 300mm Raptar, the 11.5 Verito, a 360mm Heliar, a 330mm Wollaston and a few others that all fit that same Packarded board. Then the 5x7 has shuttered 300mm SF Velostigmat, 300/6.8 Paragon and some others that fit the 8x10 and can be used on that format or with a sliding split back for 5x8, or a separate 5x7 back.

When I mapped it out, I tried to do something that I could get the most variety out of with the least bother. In reality, I don't switch around much, but I can if I want.

One of these days my shop may open up again and I'll get to use some of this stuff. :-( It's been a year minus 4 days since I was last regularly working downtown! The portrait beat has been kind of slow, since I'm not into pix of people with masks.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Just out shower, an eBay Packard was on my watch

Like new from a LF user at a very good fixed price!

I have no idea if seller is a member here

I buy good deals when I see them and use them

The smaller ones are great too, perhaps even better...
    Tin Can