Thread: Namaste from London!

Namaste from London!

Hope everybody is keeping safe.

I used to play with 35mm film before buying an APS C digital camera(regrettably) 3 years ago and realised that I enjoy using my Nikon F2A and F3 a lot more than the DX camera - too many menus to keep track of. I admit it's easier but little fun.

I discovered this forum during the lockdown last year and have been reading through the immensely resourceful threads since. Eager to try something different (to me) on film - I think I'd attempt still life (to appreciate camera movements) and people portraits (to get the wife on board ) first- mainly on x-ray film and photographic paper.

I finally feel confident enough to post an introduction and formally plunge into 5x4 (or 10x8 if I come across a great deal )

Currently comparing quotes and if all goes well I should have a basic single lens monorail setup and 100 sheets of 18x24cm² agfa cp g film + chemistry by the end of this month.

Cheers!
    Vinay

loujon

Re: Namaste from London!

Welcome aboard to LFPF Vinay

It sounds like you'll quickly fall in deep love with the slow and thoughtful pace of shooting large format. I'll be looking forward to your contributions in the future.

Welcome!
    Tin Can

Welcome Vinay. LF is not for everyone but for those it suits it's a very rewarding pastime.
    Rob Gray — Nature Photographer Extraordinaire
    www.robgray.com

Vinay, namaste, or, as my children would once have said, namaskaram (which, I just saw, is the same in Malyalam as well as Telugu).

I would hardly call it a stampede, but there appears to be an appreciable increase in the rate of people joining this forum who, broadly speaking, find the physical engagement with so-called analog photography rewarding after spending more or less time with digital. I book of some years ago, perhaps 2017, titled The Revenge of Analog, already noticed this stream among others moving from screens and digits to physical processes.

In any case, you have found the right place for any assistance you may wish for your new journey in photography. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Thank you Louis, Tin, Rob, and Phillip!

Hi Phillip,

Yes, both words are derived from the same root in Sanskrit.

I agree. I find analogue to be a welcome change from the laptop screen at work. The reason I chose large format over 120 film was availability of camera movements, and the latitude in every thing LF including available range of photographic media- film, paper, carbon transfer, tin types,etc. (I'm sure I'll find out many more on this forum soon!)

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome.

Cheers,
    Vinay