Thread: How could I rinse 50x60cm prints using these sinks?

How could I rinse 50x60cm prints using these sinks?

I need to print some larger prints from 4x5 negatives on 50x60cm paper. It will be RC paper for now but later I also want to try fiber at that size.

My sinks are only 52x50cm and look like in the image below.
    How could I handle 50x60cm sheets using those sinks?
    I guess it wouldn’t be a problem that the paper is slightly bent while rinsing but I need to find a way do constant add and drain water. I can’t come up with a good idea for that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CE6C207F-44DB-43CE-A85B-39437E465F22.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	213542

Re: How could I rinse 50x60cm prints using these sinks?

Fill the first sink with water, leave the water running at a moderate flow and set up a short hose to siphon the water from the first sink the the second, letting that one drain?

Don’t know if they are still in business but they make trays and washers that will do the job.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...er-like.15521/

Using PVC, build an automatic siphon to fit in one sink, and let it flow to the other to drain. All it takes is some PVC cut to appropriate lengths and 2- 90 deg. elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Don’t know if they are still in business but they make trays and washers that will do the job.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...er-like.15521/

I found this:

DEVILLE Washer - for darkroom trays 30x40 cm and larger: https://www.fotoimpex.com/darkroom/d...nd-larger.html

Are they any good? Should I just buy one and be done with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kornscharfsteller View Post
    I found this:

DEVILLE Washer - for darkroom trays 30x40 cm and larger: https://www.fotoimpex.com/darkroom/d...nd-larger.html

Are they any good? Should I just buy one and be done with it?
    Very good!

As the sinks are too small for the paper, I'd suggest finding one of the trays that get placed under washing-machines to catch leaks. They are usually over 60cm square. One quick surface rinse with a hose, over the sinks, then into the big tray with a few water changes and constant agitation. You talk of RC paper after all, then for fibre-based paper in the future rig a hose to squirt the water in to the tray during washing and read about the Ilford water-saving wash system using wash-aid.

I wouldn't want to risk damaging a large print, and i can't see spending 80 euro on a tray siphon. It is pretty common practice to wash prints by changing the water in the tray.

"I need to find a way do constant add and drain water"

That is not needed at all. Put the paper in the water, move it up and down a few times, leave it there for a few minutes, occasionally moving the prints a bit, drain all the water, refill with fresh water, repeat. With RC paper you will be fine repeating this some 4-5 times in a total time of some 10 minutes. Drain and refill with occasional agitation is much more effective than constant flow. I use this method even for FB papers, but then with extended times, often even leaving the prints in a bath overnight. I never use constant flow as it is inefficient and a terrible waste of water.

Back when I still made larger prints, I would stack up trays with only a small overlap. The water would enter the top tray at one side and drip over the opposing edge into the tray below, entering at one side and leaving at the other side to drip into the third tray, entering at one side... you get the picture. I would move the prints up the the chain. When the print in the top tray was finished, I would remove it and replace it with the print from the second tray. This way, I could make sure that the prints would not stick to each other and still wouldn't need the complete change of water just for one print.