Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arca Swiss 8x10 - The Ultimate Carry Solution

Re: Arca Swiss 8x10 - The Ultimate Carry Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I use true external frame packs, specifically high quality vintage ones like original California-made Kelty (not the import bookbaggish stuff under that label now). They turn up frequently unused or barely used. Be aware of sizing issues. Very quick to get gear in and out of, unlike most internal frame packs. And lighter than most pro camera packs. Plus you'll have room for personal gear.
    A friend donated a few Kelty classics locally and they're great for many things but the Arca definitely presents some packing challenges with the 141 frames having bellows extend the frame.

Drew Wiley

For a long time there was a local service specializing in custom alterations for expeditions and outdoorsmen. They had all the gear and fabric necessary to make any kind of pack or tent etc conversion, or even make a new pack to fit a particular frame. They even had in stock the hard-to-find black Goretex fabric for my darkcloths. They're now retired and closed, just like my favorite boot repairman. The biggest problem with the old Keltys and other vintage packs is finding replacement back support meshes, waistbands, and straps. These wear out long before the frame or main pack. I bought up some surplus packs just for this purpose. I also replace all the aluminum clevis pins and rings with stainless steel ones for greater durability. Now I suspect I have everything necessary to last me my final decade or so of potential hard gear use.

I'm planning various mtn trip options for this summer right now, and inviting certain other people along. Now in my 70's, I feel more comfortable going off-trail that way than traveling solo like I mostly did in younger years. My main concern is another severe fire and smoke season in late summer and fall. But going earlier, mid-summer, means mosquitoes and other bug issues. So I'm going to try some Permethrin-treated clothing and see if that helps.

For a long time there was a local service specializing in custom alterations for expeditions and outdoorsmen. They had all the gear and fabric necessary to make any kind of pack or tent etc conversion, or even make a new pack to fit a particular frame. They even had in stock the hard-to-find black Goretex fabric for my darkcloths. They're now retired and closed, just like my favorite boot repairman. The biggest problem with the old Keltys and other vintage packs is finding replacement back support meshes, waistbands, and straps. These wear out long before the frame or main pack. I bought up some surplus packs just for this purpose. I also replace all the aluminum clevis pins and rings with stainless steel ones for greater durability. Now I suspect I have everything necessary to last me my final decade or so of potential hard gear use.

I'm planning various mtn trip options for this summer right now, and inviting certain other people along. Now in my 70's, I feel more comfortable going off-trail that way than traveling solo like I mostly did in younger years. My main concern is another severe fire and smoke season in late summer and fall. But going earlier, mid-summer, means mosquitoes and other bug issues. So I'm going to try some Permethrin-treated clothing and see if that helps.
    I recently came across this... https://www.zuca.com/control/product/~product_id=12942

If you didn’t need to have anything in your back in relatively flat or sandy conditions I could see this being super useful. While it’s a little expensive I like the idea of an enclosed frame for lashing items / bags etc.

I wonder if any other carts like this exist out there. It’s amazing what industries you borrow from to adapt for our needs, this time... disc golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew Wiley

Any ordinary fifty buck handtruck and a few bunji cords will do the same thing with minor modifications, if movement over easy ground is in mind. That Zuca thing actually looks flimsily built, despite the price, but that's to be expected since it's being marketed as a golfing accessory. Components are likely to snap off; and it doesn't even have a serious handle.

Any ordinary fifty buck handtruck and a few bunji cords will do the same thing with minor modifications, if movement over easy ground is in mind. That Zuca thing actually looks flimsily built, despite the price, but that's to be expected since it's being marketed as a golfing accessory. Components are likely to snap off; and it doesn't even have a serious handle.
    I have access to a whole slew of hand cart / trucks ranging from small 10 dollar to 800-1000 dollar pneumatic things at work and I found the bungee game to be a pretty frustrating and rough solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew Wiley

Any handtruck would have to be modified a bit. I have a couple of tricked out handtrucks, and happened to sell other specialized versions to service techs before I retired. Some are designed for stacked containers to begin with. One of them I sometimes use will accept a whole stack of up to six at a time of 30X40" framed prints in vertical position. It's equipped with an adjustable story pole for sake of a leveling laser (the handtruck itself automatically becomes its stand), and also has an small equipment box for cordless drills, drivers, screws,etc, as well as an attached long tube for wide picture-hanging cleats. I'd have no problem jerry-rigging a decent hand-truck for any kind of view camera transport. Some of the appliance types are already equipped with dual wheel sets, so can can used in either vertical or horizontal pulling mode. One can also research "trail carts". But you'd have to been insane to contemplate using those kinds of things on any kind of rugged trail. A few insane people have tried, or else have gone insane due to trying it. But on pavement or easy terrain, these would work. I just have no incentive. Backpacks already work for me.

At 74 I decided to forego any hiking with a pack. Not a pack but fortunately I came across this jogging stroller. I can carry all my 8x10 gear and a 35mm/digital camera kit with out much trouble even off the trail if it isn't too rugged.
    Photo Jogger
    by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr
    Last edited by John Earley; 25-Mar-2021 at 16:26.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/