Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss 8x10 - The Ultimate Carry Solution

Arca Swiss 8x10 - The Ultimate Carry Solution

You’re right that the issue is the exposed bellows on the arca. I have a foldable 8x10 camera wrapped in the Wanderer camera wrap in a 70L osprey that allows you to open the front in full thanks to the zippers. The bag easily fits the camera, 4 holders, dark cloth, and 3-4 lenses in a tenba byob. An attachable smaller bag is available for additional stuff like water, food, jacket. I attach the tripod to the outside via the side straps.
    So in a few second you have access to anything and everything, making the setup pretty quick. The same solution for the arca would make me a bit nervous because of the exposed bellows, since my approach doesn’t offer a rigid protection. Yours does of course. It’s great!

Re: Arca Swiss 8x10 - The Ultimate Carry Solution

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    ...This carry system is based on a pack frame made by BULLPAC https://bullpacs.com/product/bull-pa...tandard-width/...
    Nice, but I went with this instead:

It's readily available to customers in the U.S.:

Tatonka's harness looks more refined than BULLPAC's and the frame has "feet" so it stands upright when set on the ground.

Wow that’s 6lbs just of frame....

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Nice, but I went with this instead:

It's readily available to customers in the U.S.:

Tatonka's harness looks more refined than BULLPAC's and the frame has "feet" so it stands upright when set on the ground.
    I had seen that brand but I couldn’t find it at any retailers in the US. The feet are definitely an improvement in the overall design. Maybe because I’m sub-40 years old the suspension system is fine for me on the Bull. It is bulky and unrefined but oddly works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How old are you? Are you a weight lifter?
    This rig looks great for a 210lb, under 40 year old, weight lifter.
    Why carry all this extra weight? A good internal frame backpack carries mine, or my 7x17, while adding only 2.5lbs to the weight of the camera plus necessities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Why carry all this extra weight? A good internal frame backpack carries mine, or my 7x17, while adding only 2.5lbs to the weight of the camera plus necessities.
    36, 200lbs and in good shape. It’s not all that heavy, since the box is plastic. I’d rather have extra weight and not have to unpack / pack a bag every time I set up and then move.

A folding camera isn’t an issue. I went to France with a Wehman, one lens and three holders shoved in a bike messenger bag.

It’s more of a solution for cameras with dimension issues.

Here's mine. I came up with the idea of the cart a long time ago; it's been described in a previous thread. So, it was just a matter of customizing the interior for the Arca Swiss 8x10. My Oschwald era 8x10 is the same design as the current Misura, so it sits lower to the rail, versus the Classic F, or the Metric 8x10. That is, it makes for a more compact package inside a backpack.

I keep film in a Photobackpacker cascading holder. The red photo bag is for all the small stuff, 4x5 holders, meter, level, filters, adapters, loupe, etc. The last two photos show the interior to the backpack with lens containers at the top. (I found these on Amazon.) The horizontal sleeve at the bottom is for the 40cm bench and expanding rails, and an extra rail for extra long extensions.

I use the cart just about 100% of the time. But if it came to it, I could backpack this outfit. The camera weighs under 13 lbs, so it wouldn't be all that heavy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Overall.jpg   Open.jpg   Inside.jpg   Empty.jpg  

How old are you? Are you a weight lifter?...A good internal frame backpack carries mine, or my 7x17, while adding only 2.5lbs to the weight of the camera plus necessities.
    I'm not as old as you are, Jim, but am pushing 70. No one has ever accused me of being a weight lifter.

I've tried various internal frame packs. None of them can hold a candle to good external frames with excellent suspensions. Transferring almost all weight to the hips via a properly shaped and padded waist belt is almost as good as helium. The Tatonka Lastenkraxe I linked to above weighs a smidge under six pounds. My weight is not much more than 20 times that. Putting on the frame unloaded feels like I haven't added an ounce, and my range of movement is not restricted by it. In warm weather, the gap between my back and the frame keeps me from overheating. Try it, you'll like it.

Drew Wiley

I use true external frame packs, specifically high quality vintage ones like original California-made Kelty (not the import bookbaggish stuff under that label now). They turn up frequently unused or barely used. Be aware of sizing issues. Very quick to get gear in and out of, unlike most internal frame packs. And lighter than most pro camera packs. Plus you'll have room for personal gear.