Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drying and flattening larger fiber and RC paper

Re: Drying and flattening larger fiber and RC paper

Quote Originally Posted by Kornscharfsteller View Post
    That works for fiber paper too?

What is „ply archival board“, sorry I am German and not a native English speaker.
    Is this board similar to that what is used to make passepartouts?
    Board I use is 2 ply archival board which is used for dry mounting prints on. This method works great for RC paper. As for fiber base paper, results vary. If the paper print is totally dry, works so-so. If the print still has some moisture in it but not enough to possibly stick to the archival board, this method works great. I've never had a problem with paper prints sticking to the archival board, but if the paper was moist enough, I'm sure that could happen. My darkroom now has a constant humidity level of around 50%. Repeatedly timing my drying times on the fiberglass screens (overnight usually) and then just place the prints between the archival boards for usually 24 hours just works for me.

Fine Art & Architect

I live in the Midwest, humid summers and air in the house in winter is pretty darn dry. My darkroomis in the basement. Its finished. Summer I run 2 dehumidifiers and its keeps below 50%. I dry prints on screens and works great in summer. But my problem is in the winter with the air so dry, the prints dry fast and get wrinkles on the edges. Tried it all. Put towels over prints when they are drying, hot press, cold press. So I rewash in summer when the humidity is up.. Or leave a 2" border on prints and cut it off when I mount the print. Don't hardly mount too many, mostly in storage boxes, but like to have print lay flat

I hang my prints on a line with clips to dry...and during the cold, dry winter months here in Vt., I find that by giving prints about an hour on the line, then flipping them bottom to top (before they are completely dry) - things come out pretty evenly...after which I'll place these "sort of flat" dry prints under a not too heavy flat weight (a collection of old mounted/matted prints, in archival gallery wrap) for about a day or so - after which I'll divide them further into "keepers to mount," "keepers to remain unmounted (for the time being)," "keepers for reference," and "rejects" (which I should toss out, but almost never do!).

At any rate...once all is sorted, prints get placed in their assigned groups together and boxed...where they keep themselves more or less flat.