Thread: Tachihara Fiel Stand 45 Front Standard Rise/Fall Scale

Tachihara Fiel Stand 45 Front Standard Rise/Fall Scale

Hello

I just purchased a Tachihara Fiel Stand 45, what I think is the first version with non-focussing rear standard (it has swing and folds/tilts but is otherwise fixed). The front standard has a black scale with 3-2-1-0-1-2-3 which I assumed were centimetres, but it turns out they are not. The total distance between the end scales (six gradations) is about 34mm.

I've just finished working out where the optical centre is using a laser level, and the zero point on the scale lines up with a centre-drilled Linhof Technika board, while the -1 gradation lines up with a standard offset-drilled Linhof board. Does this sound about right?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	241278

An observation: an original single-coated Fujinon W 135mm f5.6 lens on a Linhof Technica board fits into the folded camera.

Re: Tachihara Fiel Stand 45 Front Standard Rise/Fall Scale

My first 4x5 was a similar Tachihara. I used it happily for ten years. But I never used that scale, or even knew its purpose. Ignorant, I admit, but the cameras' instructions didn't mention it (and I had no teachers). Your measurements are the first I've seen. They are fine cameras- enjoy it!

I was in the same boat, using the camera as my first 4x5 and not knowing or ever using the scale. As I remember, the camera was light and sturdy. It taught me how to make more out of fewer movements and I only wished for longer bellows to accommodate my 12 “ lens. Nice find.

Thanks for your comments. The scale is definitely a head scratcher: ~6mm is close to 1/4 inch, could it be that?

Edit to add: I just found another thread regarding the scale on the second version of the camera which has focus movement on the rear standard: that appears to be marked in cm and explicitly has an "L" mark.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-fall-markings

M.A. Wikstrom

Guess they wanted to end it on an even number. I never pay any attention either. I set it to zero when unfolding the camera, then move it up or down as needed.

The scale on old TACHIHARA might use the old Japanese length measurement units, not metric and imperial units.

Arca-Swiss

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    Hello

I just purchased a Tachihara Fiel Stand 45, what I think is the first version with non-focussing rear standard (it has swing and folds/tilts but is otherwise fixed). The front standard has a black scale with 3-2-1-0-1-2-3 which I assumed were centimetres, but it turns out they are not. The total distance between the end scales (six gradations) is about 34mm.

I've just finished working out where the optical centre is using a laser level, and the zero point on the scale lines up with a centre-drilled Linhof Technika board, while the -1 gradation lines up with a standard offset-drilled Linhof board. Does this sound about right?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	241278

An observation: an original single-coated Fujinon W 135mm f5.6 lens on a Linhof Technica board fits into the folded camera.
    Actually it is not supposed to be a measurement scale. It is just numbers in an arbitrary system, for the user to use with any lens board and work out what position is best.

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Klukas View Post
    Actually it is not supposed to be a measurement scale. It is just numbers in an arbitrary system, for the user to use with any lens board and work out what position is best.

Rod
    You are probably right. Anybody who would name a camera "Fiel Stand" would probably make up their own scale measurement system.

The photo I attached in the first post is the actual camera I purchased. It was cheap because it's missing a lock for the rear swing and the bellows are severely twisted: I assume they they leave the factory with straight bellows, twisting them seems to be an extremely popular owner modification. Before I purchased the camera I bought a replacement bellows hasn't arrived yet so I'm working with the original, and to my surprise they only had a couple of pinholes and were easy to make light tight (the twists are permanent as far as I can tell).

I took the camera out yesterday evening and made a few images with an original Fujinon W 135mm f5.6 and Fomapan 100 and developed them in HC-110 1+39; technically they are looking great (no light leaks etc). The camera itself is easy to work with. It looks like the camera will work with lenses as short as 65mm on a recessed board though the bed will appear in the frame when the back is vertical.

Small town, South Carolina, US

A scale on the side for rise (or fall) can be useful. The Sironar-N 135/5.6 allows 32mm (1 1/4") rise at F22 per the Rodenstock's published data. I have used a scale on my original Toyo Field to help me to avoid unintentional vignetting. Sometimes, in the past, I haven't noticed it by being in a hurry until the film was developed.

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    A scale on the side for rise (or fall) can be useful. The Sironar-N 135/5.6 allows 32mm (1 1/4") rise at F22 per the Rodenstock's published data. I have used a scale on my original Toyo Field to help me to avoid unintentional vignetting. Sometimes, in the past, I haven't noticed it by being in a hurry until the film was developed.
    Indeed, one of the first things I do as part of my camera familiarisation process is to put a scale on the front standard for rise and fall, and where possible some infinity marks on the bed to make setup quicker.

I have made a card with all the limits of my lenses, I simplified things somewhat by only calculating the difference between image circle and the diagonal of the image, not the rise/shift based on the landscape or portrait orientation of the film.