Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fastest Speed of all 4x5/9x12 Sinar Norma

Fastest Speed of all 4x5/9x12 Sinar Norma

Norma Instant Operation by Nokton48, on Flickr

I'm like a kid playing with my box of incredibly expensive tinker toys, building all kinds of interesting rigs. Why not? From "Sinar- the perfect tool for the professional photographer" Karl Heitz 1964. I have built the camera on the bottom left. They would configure the camera for you at the factory; Wonder how they embellished it?

Sinar Norma 4x5 TLR Matching 210 Xenar Barrel Lenses by Nokton48, on Flickr

I decided to finish the 4x5 Sinar Norma TLR today. I found a couple of old boards with mickey mouse automation, I removed all of that. Then I cut large holes with my electric scroll saw, and finished with a good deal of hand filing. I just need to fill some holes with JB Weld. So now here two perfectly matching 240mm Schneider chrome Xenar f4.5 barrel lenses, should be great for portraiture. I exchanged the Black Binocular modern reflex magnifier on the back, with the original Norma Rubber Bellows, and the uber rare Norma Reflex Magnifier, which is quite small and I prefer it to modern Boxy Reflex Sinar.

So now I am ready to learn more about how this works. Testing looking through the camera went well, ready to go
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Re: Fastest Speed of all 4x5/9x12 Sinar Norma

Highest Speed 4x5 Norma 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's the reverse view. I added a Norma Rubber Hood, Norma Long Bellows Rod, and Norma Filter Holder with 108mm yellow glass. So pretty much like it came right out of the Norma brochure. Was fun to put together. Some old things need fixing and I like working with my hands.

― Mark Twain

Barrie B. Melbourne, Australia Barrie B.'s Avatar

Daniel , With this ' Set-up' surely you will have paralax error of the image !!
    Regards , Barrie B.

A lf tlr!

Quote Originally Posted by Barrie B. View Post
    Daniel , With this ' Set-up' surely you will have paralax error of the image !!
    Regards , Barrie B.
    Thanks I am concerned but there is a lot of adjustability in the system. Sinar Norma said this will work with ANY lens pair. And there unlimited choice of focal length, that sounds encouraging to me. Also viewing along the axis of exposure. And of course total control from 100% behind the camera only. No going back and forth all the time

Sounds like maybe something to get used to, but becomes second nature with practice (hopefully!)

520mm 20 inch Apo Ronar Pair XTRA long 5x7 new bellows 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

As you can see the viewpoints are very similar (adjustments made for parallax).
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 17-Oct-2021 at 05:28.

― Mark Twain

Wouldn't a Sinar Sliding back be faster, with no parallax issues?

Kumar

According to the above brochure from Sinar Norma, the double lens is the fastest operating of all. I have two Norma Sliding Roll Backs, so we will see. It's different in that it's 4x5 not medium format. Actually today I also configured the camera in the center picture, with 5x7 rear standard, 4x5 reducing back, then the Sinar Sliding Roll Back. Well I like that combination a lot, it is more solid in use than using the 4x5 rear standard. I'll give the double lens a good test soon.

BTW I enjoyed viewing your architectural and interior photos on your site. When I was younger I did quite a bit of this type of work myself.
    And it was all 4x5 Norma

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    According to the above brochure from Sinar Norma, the double lens is the fastest operating of all. I have two Norma Sliding Roll Backs, so we will see. It's different in that it's 4x5 not medium format. Actually today I also configured the camera in the center picture, with 5x7 rear standard, 4x5 reducing back, then the Sinar Sliding Roll Back. Well I like that combination a lot, it is more solid in use than using the 4x5 rear standard. I'll give the double lens a good test soon.

BTW I enjoyed viewing your architectural and interior photos on your site. When I was younger I did quite a bit of this type of work myself.
    And it was all 4x5 Norma
    Thank you for the kind words, Daniel. But all that is a long time ago...

I meant a proper 4x5 sliding back like this: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...5-Sliding-Back
    not a Sliding Roll Back.

Kumar

Hmmm OK. I have one of those 4x5 sliding backs on my Plaubel Peco Profia.

― Mark Twain

Did Sinar offer a sliding film splitter?

Meaning it could expose 1/2 sheet or plate, then slide over for shot 2

Very handy and fast for portraits as shot 2 is usually a more relaxed pose

I have never seen any slider split landscapes, yet...
    Tin Can