Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Fastest Speed of all 4x5/9x12 Sinar Norma

Re: Fastest Speed of all 4x5/9x12 Sinar Norma

Good to know about Ronar reversal

Thank you
    Tin Can

Thanks Randy!

I wonder why one would want to reverse mount an Apo Ronar? AFAIK Apo Ronars are identical 45 degree pairs. This new 480mm lens came to me (reverse mounted) on a heavy recessed process board.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

New Lens Pairs for Sinar Norma TLR by Nokton48, on Flickr

Three New Sinar Norma Lens pairs for my Twin Lens Sinar Norma 5x7 and 4x5 cameras. From the left, Sinar norma Schneider Symmar 300mm Symmar matched pair, with Auto Aperture Controls on both. In the little plastic bag is a set of Sinar Norma parts to attach the barrel lens to the automated Sinar board. I will have to have some micro machine work done to accomplish this. In the center, the 300mm Schneider Xenar matched lens pair, I used Sinar Norma lens cones to configure these. Held together with brass hobby screws. On the right a matched pair of 165mm f6.8 Schneider Angulons. I had the shuttered lens for decades and it's an old fave. Produces a good looking negative for me always.

― Mark Twain

Final Version 4x5 5x7 TLR Sinar Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is my final version of the 4x5/9x12 and also 5x7/13x18 Twin Lens Reflex Sinar Norma. Very new in the front is Riser Rods which I made from some excess Norma Riser Rods, I cut them down with my Lil' Machine Shop Band Saw, then flipped them over, and inserted a bolt (also cut with Band Saw). So now I have a custom made "Shorty Riser Rod Set" which is perfect for my uses. I went through my Normas and selected the best pieces, and put them together for a really tight working and smooth Norma which I will leave set up permanently in my studio.

The new lens matching pair I have been looking at on and off for six months. It's a matching set of 360mm Schneider Tele-Xenars same vintage. It took a while to find cheaply a second barrel lens, the flanges I got stock from SK Grimes. The Top Hats came from China (Wista clones) which I cut down with Electric Coping Saw and a LOT of hand filing. Then 32 holes drilled with drill press to hold the hobby modeling nuts and bolts, and steel metric machine bolts to secure the lenses. It took a while to cut and fit the TOP Hats to the flat Norma Boards, which needed some extra holes plugged firstly.

Now it just needs final finishing; shortening the hobby bolts, and touch up color front, and Flat Black Krylon Back. So this one took a good while but good to have it in the arsenal
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 3-Feb-2022 at 08:36.

― Mark Twain

300mm F4.5 Xenar matched pair TLR Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's another Norma TLR matched pair which has taken a lot of time to finish. 300mm F4.5 chrome Schneider Xenars, I had a couple of Norma 360mm Symmar Tophats which I neatly removed with electric coping saw, then attached to flat Norma boards with hobby brass modeling screws. Xenars are attached to the tophats for now, with Hollywood Gaffer Tape (LOL!) Eventually I may have SK Grimes machine custom Xenar Cones on their CNC machines. All this pair needs is final painting with flat black Krylon, on the exterior of the cones, as they have some marks to cover up, from when I drill pressed the cones. Good enough for now. This set is excellent for 5x7/13x18 and 8x10/18x24 head shots, a classic for this type of photo job

― Mark Twain

Painting Matched Norma Lens Pairs by Nokton48, on Flickr

These are matched pairs of Sinar Norma lenses I have put together recently. The final steps are to paint the back of the shiny parts with Flat Black Krylon sprayed onto cardboard then brushed on with a fine brush. A couple of coats, let it dry in the sun, and it's all totally and finally ready to use. Lots of drill pressings as you can see. As well as scroll cutting, and a lot of hand filing. I enjoy doing this work. Many of these boards had multiple holes that required filling and touching up with Norma colored green paint

― Mark Twain

SK Grimes CNCed Rear Mount 360mm Barrel Componon by Nokton48, on Flickr

Arrived today, shown lower right, SK Grimes CNC'ed this duplicate of my Rear Mount (Is it Schneider or Durst??). The original is lower left). It's been in the que for a few months but worth the wait and worth every Penny. These items will go on a couple of flat Norma boards, still have a few with big holes to use for these projects. Drill press some mounting holes and it is ready to use. I had an extra one of these lenses which had bad interior fog. I traded it out with Jason Lane, he has an optical polishing machine and can de-fog milky cells. So he will end up a killer lens, too. These two will go on my TLR 5x7/4x5 Reflex Sinar Normas.

― Mark Twain

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

After months of waiting finally finished! 360mm barrel Schneider Componon f5.6 matched pair. I also have a pair of Sinar 360mm Symmar lenses, you can not tell these two apart from a distance. Certainly does perform favorably against the Symmar, Schneider did recommend it for taking photography (not just enlarging 8x10 negatives). Lengendary Repair Guru Ken Ruth (he always had the inside back cover of Shutterbug for decades) suggested to me to get the entire set of Componons, YES they are great and cheap as dirt. I paid $150 for each of these which I think is quite good for what these are. Getting a matched pair of rear mounts was the difficulty. SK Grimes came through 100% even better than the original. For 8x10 Head Shots these lenses are about as good as you can get. A bonus is that they perform quite well wipe-open. Back in the 60's people were shooting 8x10 Handheld so wide-open is a help!

Canvas background by David Maheu "Tim Kelly Grey" like it
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 9-Apr-2022 at 07:56.

― Mark Twain

5x7 TLR Norma 360 Componon Peco Studio Stand by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is what I have decided to keep around for 5x7 and 13x18cm, and 4x5/9x12, TLR Sinar Norma. Shown with matched pair 360mm Schneider Componons. Sinar Norma Pan Tilt Head attached to Plaube Peco Studio Camera Stand. Lit by my Broncolor Octobox 150 with Supplemental Diffusion Front. Very soft light like a GIANT movable Window Lighting. 4x6 Foamcore Panel opposite side just off camera for passive fill. This camera I will be using for Fast Action LF Photogrpaphy and LF Portraiture. I have over 20 matched lens pairs to fit this camera, from 90mm to 520mm. With Norma you can put the lens pairs exactly where they need to be. Additionally the front and back standards need to be aligned, I have learned how to do this. Interestingly I have seen Ebay auctions from Hollywood California Glamour Photographers selling off this very camera (several times) so it must have been well used for action head shots many, many times I imagine. This will be fun to use for fashion photography, too.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Wouldn't a Sinar Sliding back be faster, with no parallax issues?

Kumar
    I've decided to upsize the camera to 5x7/13x18cm, no sliding back available for that. But I can put a reducing back on top and bottom and shoot 4x5 too. Both are pretty speedy to shoot once everything is properly aligned. I've gotten used to doing that now. There are no parallax issues per se, the taking lens is higher up than the viewing lens, so the perspective is slightly different. Of course I can look through both cameras if I want to. The Norma adjustments allow exact precision viewing top and bottom no parallax. For portraiture I don't want to look up people's noses, so the taking viewpoint is slightly more from above. And unlike Technikaflex and Gowland, I can use many different lens pairs, which I own.

― Mark Twain