Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Fastest Speed of all 4x5/9x12 Sinar Norma

Re: Fastest Speed of all 4x5/9x12 Sinar Norma

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I mentioned it because I expected it to be less due to the possible movements of the camera being LF. With a TLR you expect it. And in a way if this were just 2 cameras then it would be there as well, even larger because of the physical distance. But somehow I expected that with all the movements offered of LF this could be reduced to a minimum.
    It is reduced to a minimum! Gowland shows two slightly different views just like Norma, this has infinite adjustments. Just not getting what your point is??
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Wouldn't it be a TLN or something like that. (Twin Lens Non-reflex).

It is amazing, the camera and whole thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Wouldn't it be a TLN or something like that. (Twin Lens Non-reflex).

It is amazing, the camera and whole thread.
    With the 4x5 unit, the Sinar Reflex Magnifier (on the bottom viewing lens) makes it into a TWIN LENS REFLEX large format camera. But with the Norma Bag Bellows and Sinar Monocular Viewer (4x5 and 5x7), it is a TWIN LENS NON-REFLEX. But it works good too in practice.

So you are right!

― Mark Twain

Interesting thread to follow. In the 1970s, I once met two (a husband and wife team) portrait photographers in Springfield, Massachusetts who specialized in photographing children. He had fabricated a 4x5 camera that as best as I could remember was a sort of cross between a "twin lens" Sinar and a Gowlandflex. When photographing girls, he would load and unload the camera while she photographed. Vice versa when they photographed boys. A few years later I was visiting them and they had switched to using Tele-Rolleiflexs. I remember him telling me that the twin lens Rolleis were a huge improvement in their ease of use and they really didn't see any difference in the final prints. In fact they were able to capture a lot more "expressions'' (as I remember him saying) in their portrait sessions. Earlier this week I was out shooting with my whole plate. I could have easily been more productive shooting with my Pentax 67, but chose the whole plate because of the simple pleasure I get from shooting with LF and ULF. I am curious about your thoughts on this. Your "Terror and Holy Terror" image was shot with your Mamiya C33 and 105mm. Why would you choose to shoot an image like that with your "twin lens" Sinar when the C33 obviously worked so well for you?

FYI: On this end I have shot many photomacrographs and photomicrographs on my Nikon Multiphot with a seriously adapted 8x10 Norma back when I could have done it a whole lot easier with the Multiphot's 4x5 reflex equipment. To say nothing of even shooting way, way, way more easier with my FUJI GFX tethered to my iMac. We all have our reasons for taking the harder path... yours?

Hi Greg,

I don't think I could have made the photo of "Terror and Holy Terror" with anything but a quick operating 6x6 TLR. I can't imagine they could have tolerated me adjusting everything precisely on the TLR Sinar. In certain other scenarios speed is required, and I can imagine I will appreciate the fast operating speed of this rig, after it is properly adjusted. Basically the top and bottom images need to be adjusted so they are in the same image plane, I have learned how to do this. Unlike any type of camera that I have used before in all my years!

Another factor is that I enjoy struggling as long as it is productive. I have all the pieces and I want to successfully make it work, and I am confident I can do so. And as you say the simple pleasure of using the larger format equipment. Another good use is for still life photography (a new interest of mine) that involves motion and movement. Seeing the "pop" on the viewing screen is something that also find helpful. For an instant, I can see if I "got it or not". A sort of "chimping"

And it's fun to use.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 10-Aug-2023 at 21:21.

― Mark Twain