Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougars

Re: Cougars

A couple of CA game wardens told a story of a car coming out of the mountains with a great dane strapped to the hood. These were a couple of characters that usually worked on San Francisco Bay, but worked the opening deer seasons around the State. I'd pack them into the Yolla Bollys -- the end of Sept or into October and one can catch some weather. Our local game warden was not too impressed with them.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

A group of LFers are in the woods when an angry mother cougar appears...

Here’s the one-page cougar safety brochure from the NPS!

cougar safety brochure.pdf

How many of these things would you have remembered to do?

I’m going to say this guy, except for being an idiot for approaching a cub in the first place, did mostly the right things after he got himself into big trouble, except waiting so long before tossing rocks.

I was once in a Florida swamp, my 8x10 set up, waiting for the best light. I was photographing a fallen tree, so I was pretty much confined as far as escape routes. I heard a rustling in the bushes, crouched down and saw a wild boar. He was a fair distance away in a more or less open area. My dark cloth was over my shoulders, so I grabbed two corners and tossed the cloth into the air as I stood up and roared. I suppose I looked like some kind of 12-foot tall monster to the pig. He bounded through the swamp for as far as I could see. I was just glad he had plenty of choices to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    I was once in a Florida swamp, my 8x10 set up, waiting for the best light. I was photographing a fallen tree, so I was pretty much confined as far as escape routes. I heard a rustling in the bushes, crouched down and saw a wild boar. He was a fair distance away in a more or less open area. My dark cloth was over my shoulders, so I grabbed two corners and tossed the cloth into the air as I stood up and roared. I suppose I looked like some kind of 12-foot tall monster to the pig. He bounded through the swamp for as far as I could see. I was just glad he had plenty of choices to escape.
    If that didn't work, reading him a recipe for making Chili Verde might frighten him off. LOL!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post

Here’s the one-page cougar safety brochure from the NPS!

cougar safety brochure.pdf
    Good info if you see the cougar. They are lightening fast and when hunting most often attack from the rear. That's what concerns me!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    That's it..keeeeeeeep backing away like you're prey and make wuffing sounds like a startled deer....just keep doing that....attaboy....
    What are you suppose to do? I would have thrown those big rocks at it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Good info if you see the cougar. They are lightening fast and when hunting most often attack from the rear. That's what concerns me!
    I agree, very concerning!

That Cougar Safety Brochure (PDF above) is so full of good tips not already mentioned in this thread, I thought I’d make the first part of it more visible below. Keep in mind these tips don’t necessarily apply to other potentially dangerous animals, such as grizzlies or mountain goats. Depending on the animal, one’s behavior might need to be very different than the suggestions below.

----------

(Source: Olympic National Park, Wash. State)

You Are in Cougar Country! Cougars are large, seldom seen inhabitants of the Olympic wilderness. Like any wild animal, they can be dangerous. Attacks on humans are rare, but can occur. To most visitors, glimpsing a cougar in the wild is thrilling. Though few people will ever see a cougar, if you do see one, the following suggestions can increase your chances of a safe encounter.

Preventing An Encounter
    Don’t hike or jog alone
    Keep children within sight & close to you
    Avoid dead animals
    Keep a clean camp
    Leave pets at home
    Be alert to your surroundings
    Use a walking stick

If You Meet a Cougar
    Don’t run, it may trigger a cougar’s attack instinct
    Stand and face it
    Pick up children
    Appear large, wave arms or jacket over your head
    Do not approach, back away slowly
    Keep eye contact

If Cougar is Aggressive
    Don’t turn your back or take your eyes off it
    Remain standing
    Throw things
    Shout loudly
    Fight back aggressively

Please report all cougar sightings to the nearest ranger station or park headquarters, 600 East
    Park Ave., Port Angeles, WA 98362, (360) 565-3000, or dial 911 in an emergency.

###

And if a lioness is actively protecting her cubs -- throwing rocks at her and her cubs is something I do not recommend.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Interesting video.

I was lucky enough to spot 2 Florida Panthers back in December, while hiking alone. They were far away and went into the bush as I watched (they had seen me at this point). I cautiously walked past the area as it was on the trail back to my car, but luckily they were small and most likely juvenile.

We have coyotes here - I have heard them, including killing something I believe was a rabbit in my back yard.

It's not easy to think rationally in crazy unusual circumstances I would think! Give the guy a break...

I have tossed rocks at alligators blocking my path...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I agree, very concerning!

Please report all cougar sightings to the nearest ranger station or park headquarters, 600 East
    Park Ave., Port Angeles, WA 98362, (360) 565-3000, or dial 911 in an emergency.

###
    Do you call Park Headquarters during or after the sighting?