Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougars

Re: Cougars

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Rocks and sticks were not going to do the trick with a mom protecting her cubs.
    Actually, it was a toss of small rocks/gravel that made her sprint away, according to his account I read when this was released. At video’s end, if his account is true, you can tell he’s crouching down, then standing up, presumably with rocks that are tossed, followed by the cat dashing away down the road. Of course, as you suggest, a protective mother will be more inclined to ignore projectiles than a big cat who’s merely curious.

Drew Wiley

Vaughn - young cubs tend to be kept hidden, just like domestic kittens. And the mother will be very cautious where they're led. After that, as they get a little bigger, they tend to scatter and climb if they feel threatened.
    A mother has nothing to gain by attacking a human if a mere bluff works. Even mother bears normally do that. But unlike lions, unexpected sudden close encounters with grizzly bears with cubs has led to serious maulings. But even those are rare. The most dangerous wild large mammal in N. America is the bison. Lots of stupid tourists like to get snapshots up close of those; but a bull is a bull is a bull ... matadors in training.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Maybe she just wanted her tummy rubbed...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Maybe she just wanted her tummy rubbed...
    You go first!

Drew Wiley

Saw a cute video of someone tummy-rubbing a pet hedgehog last nite. Nowhere else to do it! You don't commonly find porcupines at the pet store either. Plenty of mtn lions have been kept as pets. They're a lot easier to tame as kittens than bobcats. An early employer of mine had two large cougars roaming his house. Then he told me, "I didn't like the way they looked at me, so got rid of them". I've seen that look before, out in my own backyard, when a mockingbird lands in a small tree, and one of our cats napping below wakes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I was going to post my photo of a cougar, but her husband threatened to sue me if I did.
    I was wondering how long it would take someone to go there!

"If called by a panther,
    don't anther"
    -Ogden Nash

Drew Wiley

Puma, Catamount, Panther, Cougar, Mountain Lion - also synonymous with a Golden Retriever based on a panic 911 call by a local golf course resident. Yep, those vicious critters eat their victims alive by licking them while wagging their tails.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Actually, it was a toss of small rocks/gravel that made her sprint away, according to his account I read when this was released. At video’s end, if his account is true, you can tell he’s crouching down, then standing up, presumably with rocks that are tossed, followed by the cat dashing away down the road. Of course, as you suggest, a protective mother will be more inclined to ignore projectiles than a big cat who’s merely curious.
    True...but picking up rocks or stick at the first instance of the encounter would have been counterproductive. By the time he threw the rocks there was considerable distance between him and the cubs, with the mom in between. At first encounter, both visible cubs were on the trail in front of him, with the mom on the opposite side of the cubs.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Puma, Catamount, Panther, Cougar, Mountain Lion - also synonymous with a Golden Retriever based on a panic 911 call by a local golf course resident. Yep, those vicious critters eat their victims alive by licking them while wagging their tails.
    Got to watch out for them Basset Hounds as well!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White