Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Cougars

Re: Cougars

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    In this case, with two people involved, there was an element of distraction. But there is simply no way to out-sprint either a cougar or a bear. If they want to catch you, you'd be the slowest species around.

This year is a bit unusual due to more people being out and during the week on the trails than usual (versus weekends), due to pandemic issues. In more normal years critters are bolder to be out and about up in the hills around here mid-week because relatively few people are around; so that is the best time for potential cougar sightings. But so far, I haven't personally spotted any in this area. Others have. And these coastal cougars are rather small, just like the blacktail deer they hunt, so that's another factor making them inconspicuous. Their relative abundance is made apparent by IR-triggered trail wildlife cameras, which routinely capture shots of them at night. Bobcats, however, don't seem to mind being spotted by humans. They haven't been trapped or hunted in this state for a long time, and frankly, are an important factor in ranching and farmland rodent control, just like coyotes. Bobcats also thin out the population explosion of wild turkeys somewhat, and perhaps cougars take a few too.
    My predation has taken out a few turkeys too.

multiplex

I am very dissappointed, I mean you are going through all that trouble make a that video
    it should have ended with good mauling

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    I am very dissappointed, I mean you are going through all that trouble make a that video
    it should have ended with good mauling
    I find many of the videos I see these days are the same way. A lot like SciFi writing in the 60s and 70s. Some great ideas, but no follow through. Weak endings.

edit for spelling correction -- misspelled 'writing' when complaining about writers...
    Last edited by Vaughn; 15-Mar-2021 at 10:54.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Animals can also be unpredictable...

An older worldly lady told me of when she was in her "Hollywood" period, where she was out in the desert near Palm Springs, as a passenger on the back of a motorcycle putting along, when a large mountain lion started chasing them... They hit the gas, but at 25, 35, 45mph, the big cat kept up nicely... Seemed more interested in the bike... Got it up to 60mph when the cat finally broke off the chase...

They later figured the cat was not on the hunt, but instead mesmerized by the spinning wheels of the bike, and kept up to watch...

Steve K
    What was she smoking in her "Hollywood" period?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    I am very disappointed, I mean you are going through all that trouble to make that video, it should have ended with good mauling.
    I’m no critic, but I thought the movie was entertaining – quite suspenseful, and a great ending!

A cute kitten to start, then good girl teaches bad guy a lesson – and no one gets hurt.

I even heard people in their seats yelling “Idiot!” and “You go, girl!”

At movie’s end, a cougar darting away into the sunset is a beautiful sight.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    What was she smoking in her "Hollywood" period?
    50's???

Steve K

Drew Wiley

If you want it all, watch the Tim Treadwell "Grizzly Man" flick. He did it all - studied the grizzlies up close, filmed his encounters, even invited one to an official retirement dinner. You need a gregarious species like the grizzly if you want to share tent hospitality. Mountain lions are simply too shy or aloof, whatever.

Cougars can indeed run very fast on a sprint (up to 50mph), but just like their closest cousin the cheetah, only briefly. Their lung capacity simply isn't suiited for extended running like wolves and wild dogs, or horses. Besides, who need a cougar attack if you already own a motorcycle - a machine which routinely kills far more people than cougars ever have.

But generally a motorcycle usually only kills once.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Do cougars play dress up?
    There are these guys to watch out for in Big Sur---
    https://nonur.com/2021/03/16/dark-wa...-live-science/
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Well, after the rain so far this week, I might get a break to spot some more fresh prints in the mud before the next big storm arrives. Yes, they're out there either watching or more likely napping. Cougars potentially hunt during daytime, but prefer the extra stealth night provides. The beginning of the tom turkeys showing off, trying to impress the hens and compete with one another using the sheer vanity of tail feather fan displays, has already begun; so it's also logically the time for both wild turkey photography or mountain lions more easily catching them. I just missed a lion sighting a couple years ago in such an opportune situation, but a couple hiking lower down on the same trail did see it slink away into the brush. Coyotes are also more nonchalant this time of year than usual. The particular coyote who has now bitten six people in a local shopping center was just trapped an euthanized; DNA tests confirm only a single coyote was involved in all those incidents.