Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougars

Drew Wiley

Re: Cougars

Cats tend to be picky eaters, and cougars are known to steal from one another's fresh kills, and to feed on kills for several days. But they don't scavenge old rotten meat like wolves, coyotes, wolverines, ravens, and college students do.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Cats tend to be picky eaters, and cougars are known to steal from one another's fresh kills, and to feed on kills for several days. But they don't scavenge old rotten meat like wolves, coyotes, wolverines, ravens, and college students do.
    Hmmm. I'm not sure, Drew, if that makes me feel more secure or less.

When my little 15 pound mini poodle was alive, we'd go out hiking and "Geocaching" a lot in the woods north of NYC up into the Catskills.. I'd take him off the leash and he'd often get ahead of me exploring. I wasn't worried about Pumas, as there aren't any here in the East. But there are coyote and wild dogs and other tough critters who would make mincemeat of him. Then I'd have to worry about my wife who would kill me quicker than a Puma for not watching him close enough. Fortunately, we never did run into these animals - that I saw anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Or in many of those cases, scavengers, or a 4-legged predator coming across an injured, dying, or dead treat.
    Or they embezzled company funds
    https://i.gifer.com/ERYt.gif
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    John - pumas didn't get anything at the Donner Party. Guess they weren't invited.
    Interesting though.
    I thought big cats hibernated, but apparently not.
    I thought bears hibernated too, but...
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Can we go back to the Chardonay?

Mountain Lions are part of life in the Coastside community. We live with them, they live with us. Due to the mass devastation from recent fires and more mountain kitties that have survived have been forced into areas they usually stay away from in their search for eats and living. IMO, mountain kitties are not much of an issue as they tend to stay away from humaniods unless they are threatened and provoked in some way.
    http://www.santacruzpumas.org/puma-tracker/

HMB coastside community was truly upset and more than dis-pleased with the local cops gunning down mountain kitties..
    https://www.hmbreview.com/news/hmb-r...a4bcf887a.html

Most long time coastside residents more than accept mountain kitties as part of the community and need to be protected from fear driven folks that want them exterminated. They are part of the entire eco-system which included Raptors, Wolves, Foxes, Owls, Deer, Skunks, Opossums, Rats, Mice, Gophers and countless 6 & 8 legged critters and plants.

Bernice

Drew Wiley

What has notably changed is how cougars' attitudes towards dogs have changed. I remember when they were so terrified of barking that even a poodle could tree them. Now, more and more, they view isolated dogs as dinner. But if there are plenty of deer around, that's what they instinctively prefer. The highly animated twitchiness of goats, however, has always magnetized them in a manner domestic sheep do not. In certain areas, they specialize in wild bighorn sheep instead of deer.

In Placerville a few years back, a client had a cougar rip open a heavy gauge steel mesh kennel one night to feast on his unfortunate dog.
    A rare attack for sure, but I doubt if that was any comfort to the dog.
    I saw what the cougar had done to the kennel
    Crazy.

Drew Wiley

I keep all my own wannabee little cougars well fed; but sometimes they give me the evil eye if I give them dry food when they want canned instead, or visa versa. This batch is so pampered that they haven't even learned to how to tear the cat food bag open. That certainly wasn't the case with an abandoned kitten I picked up wandering a backroad up in the hills - he was one smart little survivor and had already learned a lot of tricks. He'd even lie out on the street and bite pedestrians who didn't pause to pet him. He also attacked dogs and raccoons. Smartest, toughest cat if ever saw. His own cougar leaps were turbocharged with nearly lethal fishy smell farts. But his final mistake was attacking a moving Dodge Van for invading his territory. He's buried in the Valley of the Kings in a shoe box full of catnip, in that portion of the back yard adjacent to where my darkroom plumbing lines are buried.