Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light tripod and head for lightweight 4x5 and short lenses

Drew Wiley

Re: Light tripod and head for lightweight 4x5 and short lenses

I use a lighter yet more stable head option than any of the above - namely, none! For my lightweight 4X5 system, just a magnesium quick-release right on the top of the tripod platform. I wouldn't waste time on a toy tripod. For only about another pound, around the 3 to 3-1/2 lb range, you can select from far more stable CF options. Any kind of ball head will be the weakest link, regardless, in terms of vibration risk. They're voodoo for view camera work, especially in the lightweight category.

Love my BENRO TAD28C Adventure Carbon Fiber Tripod with a large RRS head.

I have a Sirui ET-1204 with a Field Optics Research PH-200 pan head (a picture of it is in Post #6 in the thread at https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-Head-Question. There are lighter (and shorter) tripods out there, but I like the strength of this one. The pan head adds a few ounces to the weight, but I prefer it to a ball head.

Bob

I've been using the Manfrotto 056 3D "Junior" head (formerly #3025) for years now with my field cameras. Weighs 1.2 lbs, can be used with all three knobs loosened like a ball head or you can loosen just one at a time for use as a regular 3-way head. I use it for lenses up to 300mm on my wooden field cameras; no problems with vibrations, etc.

Link: https://www.keh.com/shop/tripods-bog...CABEgKAifD_BwE

I carry the empty bag to fill with rocks too, but usually just hang my filmholder bag on the tripod center-column lock knob.

Best,

Doremus

I flew back to upstate NY to visit my son and took a 2 lb tripod for my 2.5 pound 4x5. It worked, but the whole set-up was too light and easy to knock out of position. hanging weight would have helped, but awkward to do where I was. In 1986 I traveled with the same camera with a 7lb pod/head (5 and 2 lb)...an Al Gitzo Studex and Gitzo Ballhead No.2. That was a good steady combo.

So I would not hesitate to find a pod with a little more heft -- perhaps in the 3 to 3.5 lb range Drew mentioned. I enjoy using a head too much to give it up -- but there are leveling bases for tripods that might be of interest to you as lightweight options to a full head...get the pod as close as one can and finish off with small changes with the leveling head.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Anybody hqve and use a Gowland "Pockeet View"? I have only handled one once a few years ago and it seemed to weigh next to nothing.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

That's my 4x5. I have the Calumet version. Non-rotating back. Weighs 2.5 pounds with the Caltar 150/5.6 on it.

Backpacking trips, 6-months on a bicycle and other fun adventures.

Not a camera for people who are fussy about things like precision adjustments, indents, full movements, and a lot of solid weight. A wonderful tool for the right person for the right jobs.

An oldie with the camera (we ended up on top of the dune eventually...highest in CA...nice having a light camera!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bruce1.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China