Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twin Lens 4x5 Sinar

Twin Lens 4x5 Sinar

Twin Lens 4x5 Sinar Norma 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This was fun to configure and will be useful for 4x5 portraiture. This time it's two 240mm Sinar Symmars, yes I know one is forward mounted so they are different. Looking around I have a pair of matching 240mm Schneider barrel chrome f4.5 Xenars. May have to cut some boards but that to me is a perfect choice for 4x5. The bottom 4x5 Norma still needs a bit of work but getting there. It came recently from KEH

Will have to learn how to use this. Sinar Norma promoted this as super speedy. Look through the bottom and pop it and see it for a second on the ground glass, great for evaluating expressions. Will be fun
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 3-Mar-2021 at 17:44.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Re: Twin Lens 4x5 Sinar

Congratulations you have done the configuration correctly. Most people view with the top camera and expose the film with the bottom camera. Even when both cameras are in alignment for taking portraits, the bottom camera will shoot the portrait looking a bit up at the person. Can be unflattering sometimes... "been there done that"

Were your red extension rods custom made? I have been looking for a used set of them for years with no luck.

Those are original Sinar Norma Rods and they are graduated in millimeters. I searched for decades on and off (they are uber rare), then came into a bunch at MPEX here in Ohio and then several sets including the even more uber rare clamps came up on Ebay.

Glenn Evans has "Glennview" generic rods and if you need 'em you need 'em

http://www.glennview.com/sinarTLR.htm
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 4-Mar-2021 at 07:24.

― Mark Twain

ok, there's something I've never seen before!

A great idea if you are bigamist and have too many Normas at home. Just double them! You could marry a third Norma and mount her too. Why? Well, because it now takes too long to take the light meter cassette out of the upper camera to insert the film cassette. - How easy life is with a Super Technika, a L398 and a Grafmatique!

But: purely aesthetically, this combination is wonderful. Compliment. They still exist, the beautiful things!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Congratulations you have done the configuration correctly. Most people view with the top camera and expose the film with the bottom camera. Even when both cameras are in alignment for taking portraits, the bottom camera will shoot the portrait looking a bit up at the person. Can be unflattering sometimes... "been there done that"
    Thanks Greg. Good to know that it is together in a way that will be beneficial. I know the barrel Xenar 240s are matching and will be a good match for portraiture. I'll have to see what else I can come up with in pairs.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    But: purely aesthetically, this combination is wonderful. Compliment. They still exist, the beautiful things!
    Thank you Daniel. Linhof made a reflex top for the Technika, if you want to go Linhof crazy. Same basic idea. Increased speed! and simplicity of operation, as well as the confidence that with flash, you can see the image for a micro second burned onto the ground glass, are the advantages. I could use one of my Sinarsix with my Broncolor probes for TTL flash but that may not be necessary. In my experience with LF portraiture I often found that the first one was often the strongest. This is simple and direct and different for me. Certainly worth a good try.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    A great idea if you are bigamist and have too many Normas at home. Just double them! You could marry a third Norma and mount her too. Why? Well, because it now takes too long to take the light meter cassette out of the upper camera to insert the film cassette. - How easy life is with a Super Technika, a L398 and a Grafmatique!

How easy we forget, decades ago Linhof offered great LInhof Technoflex as an accessory to turn the Super Technika into a TLR.

Sinar Norma 4x5 TLR Matching 210 Xenar Barrel Lenses by Nokton48, on Flickr

I decided to finish the 4x5 Sinar Norma TLR today. I found a couple of old boards with mickey mouse automation, I removed all of that with my mini drill press. Then I cut large holes with my mini electric scroll saw, and finished with a good deal of hand filing. I just need to fill some automation holes with JB Weld. So now here two perfectly matching 240mm Schneider chrome Xenar f4.5 barrel lenses, should be great for portraiture. I exchanged the Black Binocular modern reflex magnifier on the back, with the original Norma Rubber Bellows, and the uber rare Norma Reflex Magnifier, which is quite small and I prefer it to modern Boxy Reflex Sinar.

So now I am ready to learn more about how this works. Testing looking through the camera went well, ready to go
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 5-Mar-2021 at 14:05.

― Mark Twain

Very cool. That's two Ubers, the red standards, and the magnifier. Uberuber, Superuber, Uberzwilling?
    Again Very Cool!