Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My negatives are backwards....Shanghai 8x10 Film.

Re: My negatives are backwards....Shanghai 8x10 Film.

Yes, indeed.

Then there were lots who did precisely this back in the day.. when Foto-shop and similar was not even an idea.

Do this LF stuff for a few decades the "fun" factor is not the same as it was in the beginning. IMO, for those who continue doing LF today that did LF back in the 1980s' or before, the serious image making aspects of doing LF can remain. Old habits and expectations often remain for those who know how good LF images can be. It is a point of reference that tends to stay in one's memory in various ways.

That said, if not for the growing number of folks interested in LF today, sheet film and all related could have been gone long ago.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    If I were doing something where I charged $1,000/hr. I would almost certainly be shooting digital. The Shanghai film is for people who are just out having fun and want to cut costs. If something screws up it's not a big deal.

Kent in SD

The main point of interest I was attempting to point out is the 3005 EXPERT DRUM processed the emulsion perfectly. Just a little mark on the rebate that is all. This, I think, opens the possibility of processing the two-sided X-ray film in the 3005 drum.

In terms of the Shang-Hai, I get very good results with it. As long as one understands basic sensitometry and works within the films limitations it is very useable. I just opened my next box of 25 and am transferring all the sheets to a 'triple-box' in the correct orientation, in case this issue crops up again.

Here you see the dual notch codes and the 'upside down' image. My negatives are all processed NOTCH side up and removed and dried hanging from the notch side. So to get this one in the negative preserver page with emulsion down, it came out upside down compared to every other image I have ever processed. Other than that, and the small blemish on the rebate, I'd not have known it was exposed through the base side and processed emulation side out in the tank.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shanghad NotchJPG.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	213451

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shanghai 100 Speed test.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	213452

When handling unnotched film in the dark, I slightly wet my lips and put a corner of the film between them. The difference between the emulsion and the back can be felt. This might not work with some fioms.

When handling unnotched film in the dark, I slightly wet my lips and put a corner of the film between them. The difference between the emulsion and the back can be felt. This might not work with some films.

IC-racer, I'm interested in the apparent lack of anti-halation coating that would allow proper exposure through the base, as Jason mentioned. Do you know the answer to this conundrum?
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Might be worth a sheet of film to test this. I can purposely load one backwards and expose the same scene with the same exposure to both films. My impression from this episode is the film base is just as clear before and after processing and one can just expose right through it.

Better yet, I think I still have some strips of film cut to fit my sensitometer. I'll just expose one each way and I can calculate the transmittance of the base. When I cut those strips I clipped the corner of all of them to identify the correct side